Chapter 16

The doctor gently shook his head in response to Ruan Qing’s gratitude and smiled, saying, “I didn’t do much, and besides, these things all require payment.”

As soon as the doctor finished speaking, he realized he had said the wrong thing.

Because the expression on the young boy’s face froze the moment he heard about payment.

Payment...

Ruan Qing nervously opened his mouth, looking hesitant, as if wanting to say something, but ultimately remained silent.

Where would he get the money? He couldn’t even afford the rent.

If he remembered correctly, the set of examinations he just underwent was quite comprehensive, and the cost was likely over 5,000 yuan.

And the hospital certainly wouldn’t allow patients to owe medical expenses.

Ruan Qing bit his lower lip, gripping the strap of his messenger bag tightly, and instinctively looked towards Jiang Sinian beside him.

The boy’s actions pleased Jiang Sinian, and his gloomy expression instantly vanished. He lightly chuckled and raised an eyebrow, saying, “Since I am your landlord, it’s only natural for me to take responsibility for you.”

The words “take responsibility” were somewhat ambiguous when spoken by Jiang Sinian. As he spoke, he picked up Ruan Qing’s hand hanging at his side, rubbing his thumb against it slightly.

His tone shifted. “But it doesn’t mean the landlord has to pay the medical expenses for the tenant without reason. I always need to get something in return to be happy, don’t you agree?”

Jiang Sinian’s words carried a hint of frivolousness and temptation, resembling the Queen coaxing Snow White into eating the poisoned apple.

Although he didn’t explicitly say anything, his intentions were glaringly obvious on his face, and anyone could guess what he wanted.

It seemed that from the very beginning, he hadn’t hidden his motives, whether it was evident in the way he looked at the boy or in his special care for him.

The doctor looked down at Jiang Sinian holding the slender hand of the young boy, his expression showing little change from before. However, a faint darkness flashed through his usually gentle eyes.

Ruan Qing wasn’t accustomed to physical contact with others. He nervously tried to withdraw his own hand, but he couldn’t pull it away.

Jiang Sinian used just enough force, not strong enough to harm the young boy, but his dominance prevented the young boy from pulling his hand back.

Ruan Qing could only give up. He lowered his head, showing a hint of hesitation on his face, and finally spoke softly, “I will repay you, along with the rent.”

Just as Jiang Sinian was about to say something, the doctor smiled and spoke, “It’s getting late. Sinian, come with me to make the payment.”

Jiang Sinian had no objections. He let go of the young boy’s hand and said, “Wait for me in the office.”

After speaking, he left with the doctor, closing the door behind him.

In the office, Ruan Qing was left alone. He picked up the glass of water on the table and drank it slowly.

The water had cooled down just enough, so he finished it in one gulp.

Perhaps one glass wasn’t enough to quench his thirst. Ruan Qing poured himself two more glasses of cold water and drank them all. Finally, his dehydration subsided.