b o n u s

When I wake up, I'm still tucked safely in Treech's arms. I can smell something cooking downstairs, so I decide to investigate. Maybe I can help Treech's mother make breakfast.

I detangle my limbs from Treech's. As I sit up, I look at the young man lying beside me. He looks so peaceful while he's asleep. Some of his hair has fallen across his forehead. I gently sweep it away with my hand. Treech's lips pull into a soft smile.

When I stand, I make sure to pull the sheets back over Treech. It's warm in his room, but I don't want him to get cold.

I carefully step down the stairs, trying to prevent them from squeaking.

"Good morning, Mrs. Bradshaw," I say when I enter the kitchen.

"Good morning, Venus," she says when she sees me, her face lighting up in a beautiful grin similar to her son's. "And it's Sylvie."

"Can I help you with breakfast?" I ask.

"I can handle it, Dear," says Sylvie.

"I insist," I say. "I love cooking."

Sylvie smiles at me. "I knew Treech would find a good one. You can help me knead the bread."

I fight the blush rising to my cheeks. "Show me what to do."

Sylvie shows me how to knead the dough for the bread. Then, she scurries around the kitchen, gathering ingredients and throwing things into a pan.

"Where's your husband?" I ask. I had met Treech's father at dinner last night, but he's nowhere to be found now.

"Larson works at the lumber yard on the other side of town. The commute is long, so we unfortunately don't see much of him."

I'm suddenly glad Treech isn't able to work in the forest with the others. I'll be able to spend time with him when I'm not working.

"You know," begins Sylvie. "Treech was never really interested in girls before he left for the Games."

"Really?" I ask. It makes sense now that I think about it. But something tells me plenty of girls had liked him, even if he didn't return their affections.

"Really," confirms Sylvie. "We'd always hoped he'd find a nice girl at school and have her over for dinner, but he never did. Not like Aspen with Ro. She came over once and never seemed to leave after that. And then Treech was reaped and I'd lost all hope of having another daughter around. But he came home, speaking about nothing but his mentor."

I smile at her words. Though Treech has told me on multiple occasions of his love for me, my heart still skips a beat when other people confirm the feelings.

"I knew he'd found the one," continues Sylvie. "It was hard knowing you were from the Capitol, but the stories he told about you– I knew he loved you. I'm glad you're able to join us now. I think he needs you a lot more than he lets on. You should have seen the look on his face when Millie told him there was a girl from the Capitol asking around for him."

"My friend once told me he looks at me like he's just seen the sun for the first time in years," I say, a pang of longing coursing through my veins when I think of Persephone. I should try to write to her.

Sylvie smiles. "That's exactly what it is. Treech told me he'd wanted to win for all of us, but I think it was mostly for you. From the moment he met you, it's only been you. Ask Millie about it. She could tease him about it for hours."

I laugh. "I wish I had siblings growing up."

"Talk to Millie," insists Sylvie. "She's always wanted a sister."