Chapter Thirteen

After stopping to train every few hours all day, Raiden decided it was finally time to make camp. The sun was just beginning to set, and I decided to find dinner for us. Hoping to find a rabbit or bird nearby, I took Andra's bow and arrow and started walking.

A few minutes later, I found a good spot and climbed a nearby tree. I sat on a sturdy branch and waited. And waited. And waited some more.

Until there was rustling just below me, and a rabbit hopped out of a shrub, plump and relatively healthy. Slowly, I took an arrow from the shaft and readied my bow. As quietly as I could muster, I pulled back and aimed at the rabbit. I let go and the arrow landed right on its target.

I climbed back down the tree and walked over to the rabbit. I carefully picked it up, inspected it, and swallowed my disappointment. Instead of it being a clean shot through the eye like I had hoped, it went through its neck. I straighten up when a force behind me pulls me back.

A firm hand covers my mouth, and the other is wrapped tightly around my neck. Struggling to breathe, I drop the rabbit in my hands and pull at the arms of the stranger behind me, quietly begging for reprieve.

Without thinking, I bite the hand covering my mouth, hopefully hard enough to draw blood. When they release, I take one of my arrows and stick it into their leg. I run as I hear the pain-filled howls of my attacker behind me.

I don't care to look back, to identify them. I need to get back to Raiden and Andra, to warn them. To make sure they're safe. Where did we stop? Did I walk east or west from our camp?

Panicking, I look at my surroundings when I see the orange firelight just to my left. My lungs burn as I sprint toward it.

When I reach the fire, I'm horrified at what I see. Andra and Raiden are nowhere to be found, and neither are our things. The only thing that is left is the fire.

Just then, a hard object smacks against my skull, and I crumpled to the ground, slowly losing consciousness. All I see are boots, attached to two legs, one with an arrow lodged deep in its thigh, blood dripping.

And I blacked out.

~

author's note:

hi! sorry today's chapter was so short. more chapters coming soon, i promise!