Chapter 26

Louis didn't get to talk to Harry about what was said during lunch that day. He was caught up with schoolwork after university, and Harry had a meeting with his uncle and the other alphas about the invasion.

Knowing Harry had to spend time with his uncle made Louis' stomach turn. He couldn't imagine how hard it must be for him to be around him daily. It must tear him apart, and his psyche must take great damage from it. He didn't want to know just how much it affected him.

As for the invasion, it seemed to have stabilized again. There were no new attacks, but they still had to prepare for the worst, which was why Harry had to participate in meetings and the defense always had to be on their guard.

Sadly, all this resulted in him and Harry not meeting up. There was no time, and their friends distracted them at uni, so they couldn't sneak off together either. They hadn't scented each other since Louis made the large hickey on Harry's neck, and that was four days ago now. It made his heart ache.

Sometimes, he would think about what Harry said to his friends in the cafeteria, and even though it hurt, he knew there was a reason behind it. People couldn't find out about their connection, so leading his friends to believe the rumors about him and Nathalie were true was the perfect way to hide it. He just wished he didn't need to hear it.

He also thought about what happened before Harry went down to get him breakfast last weekend, how they almost kissed but didn't because Harry pulled away. It made him feel a bit anxious, but at the same time, they weren't dating. They hadn't talked about their feelings, and there was a chance Harry might not even feel the same about Louis.

All this was on his mind when he walked back to their dorm Friday afternoon with Liam. They were walking in silence, but Louis sensed a question from Liam in the air. He wanted to tell him to spit it out, but he decided to wait until they were in their dorm.

Louis broke the silence as soon as Liam closed the door behind them and they had removed their jackets and shoes. "You can ask me whatever is on your mind."

Liam swallowed, walking further into the room to sit on the edge of his bed. Louis did the same but on his own bed. "How are things between you and Harry?"

Louis expected the question to be about that, so it didn't come as a surprise. Looking down at his lap, he pursed his lips. "We're good."

"You don't sound too sure," Liam interpreted, furrowing his brows.

Louis averted his gaze. "I don't see why we wouldn't be."

"I noticed your reaction when he talked about the rumors of him and Nathalie in the cafeteria a few days ago, and you've been pretty down since then. You can talk to me if something happened, you know?"

Louis nodded. "I know."

Liam pressed his lips together. "I'm just worried. You seemed so happy Monday morning after he spent the night here, and I could tell from a mile away that his hickey is yours."

Louis met his brown eyes. "I like him."

Liam stilled, but he didn't look surprised. "Like him as in you don't hate him, or like him as in you want to kiss him, have sex with him and have his pups?"

A dry laugh escaped Louis' lips. "Like him as in I want to kiss and have sex with him, but please, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Pups can very much wait."

Liam's lips twitched but only briefly. "Do you know if he likes you?"

Louis shrugged. "It's hard to tell, considering our connection."

"I get that," he said, biting his lip. "I've had a feeling that you like him. Every time you denied anything more between you, it always seemed forced. And when you reacted so strongly to him spending his rut with someone else, it felt like there was more behind it than just your connection."