/CHAPTER 1

___

War is constant.

A glaring similarity with ourselves and our ancestors, a scarred mark on each generation's history. A gruelling fact that pulled me into the science of it all in the first place.

''Ms. Cross. Get back!''

An easy-to-follow command from our hired helicopter pilot, obviously aimed at my reckless dangling halfway out said helicopter on our way to Tavador, Peru.

The landscape below stretched out endlessly. Miles of green, lucious rainforest with smidgens of human settlement through the foliage.

Ignoring the pilot's command for the seventh time, I motioned backward to my camera man. In a stark contrast to my piqued interest in the valley below, he sat on the seat behind me, camera clutched tightly in his arms as he cited a silent prayer.

The wind whipped my hair loose from my ponytail as I looked back at him.

''C'mon, Aiden. These are the best shots we're gonna get!''

If looks could kill, I'd drop dead then and there from the glare Aiden shot me. His fear of heights hadn't caused much of an issue in our previous pieces, but this was an open helicopter.

Purposefully, of course. I argued long and hard with our pilot to convince him of this mode of transportation. After all, no recordbreaking piece of journalism had ever been shot through the clammy windows of an aged helicopter.

Aiden's voice only barely audible over the roaring wind, even with the help of the headsets provided.

''You're out of your mind, Rebecca!''

I took the camera from his hands.

He quickly protested, which I pointedly ignored as I heaved the large machinery onto my own shoulder. I strained against my seatbelt as the viewfinder captured the magnificent valley below.

This was it.

If there was anything that could provide me my well deserved big break in the industry, it would be shooting and reporting on-the-scene content on Tavador's ongoing civil war.

Lens gliding across the forest, the material of my seatbelt harsh against my ribs as I leaned further. I needed a good shot.

''Ms. Cross, please. I will turn this bird around if you don't stay inside the helicopter right this second.''

Begrudgingly, I followed the pilot's command.

I handed the camera back to Aiden, who cradled the thing as quickly as it entered his grip. In the distance, the edges of civilization came into view as the helicopter approached the destination.

A city, not dissimilar to others we passed on the way over, laid in the crook between the hills. Miles of rainforest stretched behind it, effectively cutting transportation to and from it down to a few large roads and a considerably large airport.

From above, all looked peaceful.

Streets clearly defined between the buildings, signs of wealth increasing the further we edged towards the city center.

However, looks could be deceiving.

I'd spent the past year researching all there was to know about the conflict emerging in Tavador. The raging poverty leaving its mark on the housing below evidence of how the uprising began in the first place.