Chapter 4

It's been five days since Coraline and Wybie adopted their daughter. Coraline felt much more connected to Eliza, so she took the role of a parent more seriously than Wybie, and it was not because Wybie wasn't capable, oh how hard he tried to get her to do anything with him.

Whenever he tried to do anything with her, she always said she wants to do it with her mom. He didn't bond the same way with her. He also did not have the authority to be taken seriously by Eliza, it was quickly revealed that it was because she did not see him as her father.

For Wybie it was insane how quickly Eliza adapted and became attached to his best friend. He believed it was because of her never knowing her parents, that's at least what Wybie told himself. But the he wondered if that was so, why did they not bond ?

Anytime Coraline tells her no, that she has to hang out with him, she would turn to him and pout. "Well I guess I have to go with you"

Wybie didn't know what he did to make her act like that, he didn't take it personally though. He decided he can be the fun uncle, so from that day he stopped trying to parent her.

Apparently that dynamic worked well for all of them, and he figured he didn't mind keeping it that way.

Coraline also didn't mind, he would be a parent and her partner in the government papers but behind the curtain, he would be an uncle and her best friend.

They decided this a week ago, everyone was much happier and the balance was restored. The cat also came back from whatever place he goes to.

Eliza was ecstatic, she loved animals. The little fur ball however liked his own independence and being chased around in their apartment by a child wasn't on his bingo card.

"Eliza please stop chasing him" Coraline said sternly. After the fight with the other mother, the cat and Coraline built a bond unlike anything she ever experienced. It was like she could just hear his thoughts and feel his emotions.

"Mom please I just want to hug him!" Eliza's ponytails bounced around her as she jumped on the couch to catch the black feline.

The cat ran to Coraline and stretched out on her leg, his claws digging into her flesh, leaving a small stinging sensation behind.

The older girl got the message and picked him up, she adjusted him, so he would comfortably lay in her arms.

The brunette opened her mouth to scold the child a little more, when the sound of the door opening made her change her mind.

"Hey girls! I found something we can do before we leave" Wybie opened his backpack and took out a sheet of paper, on it was an advertisement for a carnival happening later today.

Furrowing her eyebrows, the girl's concern filled voice sounded in the room. "Isn't it a little far? It's in forks" Coraline was slightly against anything that had too much people in it, it just meant more people to look out for.

She was gazing hatefully at the piece of paper. Wybie noticed that and immediately began speaking.

"There won't be that many people there, it's a small town" he defended his idea while gesturing secretly toward the little girl to help him out.

"I don't know..." the brunette was hesitant going to a crowded place, mainly for the danger that kind of place attracts, it was hard before to keep themselves safe, and now they have a child to protect. There is no longer any room for error.

"Oh! I wanna go!" Eliza stated jumping excitedly. She turned to see her with sparkling eyes as Wybie grabbed her hands and started jumping with her chanting: "Carnival" "Carnival"  "Carnival"

Coraline made eye contact with the cat, both of them wore serious expressions with their eyebrows raised. They both agreed this would not be a good idea, and it wouldn't end well.

Sighing at their hope filled expression she made her decision. She just couldn't see them upset.

"We can go, but only for an hour" Coraline spoke slowly while the cat gave her judgmental stare in disbelief. He was definitely not happy about her caving so easily.

"Ooohhhh thank you, Thank you thank youthankyouthanky-" cutting the little girl midway her excited rant Wybie picked her up and started walking towards the bedroom, where she and Eliza usually rested in.

"Come on doll, let's pick out an amazing outfit for you"
The black haired teen tickled her a little and smiled when she laughed loudly in joy.

Coraline was watching their interaction with a wide smile, she was happy they got along, but her best friend was reckless. It worried her.

She set the cat down and grabbed a black backpack, the brunette started filling it up with bunch of safety items, she grabbed a gun, 2 knifes, 3 lighters, 3 cans of deodorant, 2 maze sprays, 1 rope, 3 dog whistles and a collar for the cat.

"That's it I believe" Coraline muttered to herself when a cough sounded behind her. She turned to see Wybie with his eyebrow raised a hand on his hip while his right hand pointing at the backpack.

"Are you serious?" He questioned. She rolled her eyes at him. "Don't give me an attitude, it's for protection!" She reasoned, but he just shook his head.

"Protection from what? An army?" He sassily voiced when he noticed the amount of stuff she was bringing.

"From anything!" Coraline bit back annoyed at his lack of consideration.

"Cora we are going to a carnival, not a battlefield" he tried for her to see his view on this. This day is supposed to be full of fun and freedom from their responsibilities, and not looking over their shoulders, at least for one day.

"You never know?" She hesitated. She was not sure anymore, all she wanted to do was protect them. Was she overdoing it?

When he heard her vulnerable voice he groaned "fine but you are carrying it" Wybie can't stand this, hell he is so used to her mask he forgot she had more traumatic experiences then him, he also seemed to forgot how she always doubted herself. Even if her ideas are brilliant, or her reasoning for doing something is always more than acceptable. The other mother killed her self esteem.

He didn't want to make it worse, so if bringing all that will make her feel better? Who was he to deny his best friend that. He is just glad she isn't bringing her sword.

"But I guess if you get tired we can switch" he smiled at her warmly.

"Fine by me" Coraline smiled back, happy to have a great friend like him.

┏━━━━━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━━━━━━┓
1147