Act II, Chapter 1: We Got Schooled

Meeting Room 1. Late Afternoon. Paladin's Academy.

Team Red reconvenes from the battle in Meeting Room 1. While none of them sustained serious injuries, their pride as heroes has been severely wounded. Streetwise enters the room to check on the team and give them their grades.

"Well, if it's any consolation, you guys aren't the worst team in Paladin's history. That goes to Bulknut of batch 15. Poor guys." Streetwise shakes his head as he presents his findings to the team using a small tablet.

"First off, the lack of communication was staggering. You didn't even bother reporting to each other. I think that was your worst blunder by far."

"Combat-wise, you all did pretty well. All except two of you, who shall remain nameless. You know who you are. Better keep practicing."

"As a team? You guys get an F."

"Don't worry, this was a mock exam. This score won't reflect on your final grade. However, for my subject, this team will stay together until the semester's end. So you better do some team building even outside my class."

"With all of that said, don't beat yourselves up. This was your first-ever exercise as a team, so, of course, you'll make mistakes. I have sent my personal evaluations for each of you via email, so check your spam folders. And yeah, I'll see you guys around."

Streetwise leaves the room as the team remains silent. One by one, each member leaves the room, until only Dreadnought and Matter remain.

"You think he was referring to us?" Matter asks Dreadnought, her voice shaky and her head down.

"I do not think so?" Dreadnought reassures her, "I mean, we will never know until we see the electronic mail."

"Dammit." Matter softly whispers, her eyes swelling up. She clutches her fists tightly.

"He was right about one thing: this was our first battle as a team. Losing is a part of the process."

"Maybe for you." She says while standing up and leaving. Dreadnought sighs as he exits the room too.

Meanwhile, in the faculty room, Streetwise and Aegis hand over their cash to Ms. Winter and Glance. Streetwise sighs as Ms. Winter and Glance leave the room laughing.

"Didn't you teach me not to gamble?" Aegis remarks while fixing her desk.

"You should've listened." Streetwise cracks his knuckles. Sparkplug enters the room and greets them both.

"How did it go with Team Red?" Sparkplug asks.

"Depressing. Never seen team morale so down."

"And you did nothing?" Aegis asks.

"I... left them alone with their thoughts. Good reflection time."

"Jesus Streetwise, at least treat them to a pity meal or something."

"It's called tough love. Besides, it's College. We're not supposed to hold their hands through this."

"But maybe we should," Sparkplug interjects. "After all, we are training them to become Superheroes."

"Remember Barcode? He didn't do jack shit. Hell, he left me alone with a Void-Born the size of a bus!" Streetwise raises his hands in bewilderment.

Sparkplug laughs, "You always bring that up. Can't you let it go?"

"Over my dead body."

The three of them laugh as they hear a knock on the door.