Chapter 9

Chiara thinks she's dreaming. That's the only logical explanation, really. This morning she woke up and Violeta was there, curled at her side, breathing softly through pink lips. There's a brief second where Chiara tells herself that maybe it was all a dream - maybe there's a logical, platonic explanation for why Violeta is laying naked beside her. As the idea starts to sink in, Chiara recognizes the bruises lining Violeta's throat from where her teeth once were and - oh, this is real.

It's so real it makes Chiara's chest ache.

Violeta wakes up with a groan and covers her slow-forming grimace with her hand.

"Good morning?" Chiara questions cautiously, internally freaking out at the idea of Violeta regretting what they did last night.

"We're going to have to tell Ruslana, aren't we?" Violeta frowns, peeking through her fingers at Chiara.

Chiara exhales in relief, "I thought you were going to bolt on me for a second, Hódar."

"Don't flatter yourself," Violeta waves a hand to dismiss the idea, "I don't get out of bed before eight for anybody."

"Noted," Chiara laughs and tightens her grip around Violeta's shoulders, "But to answer your question, we don't have to tell Ruslana. At least not yet."

"You'd be okay with that?"

Chiara shrugs, "It'd be kind of fun, having a secret girlfriend. And it's not like I'd have to hide in the closet or anything - that's all you."

Violeta rolls her eyes, "I... I do want to tell her, just not yet. I want this to be our thing for a little while."

"I'd like that, too."

"Oh God," Violeta suddenly exclaims and sits upright in bed, not bothering to clutch her sheet to her chest, "Kiki."

"Yes?" Chiara raises an eyebrow.

"Do you think social media will find out?"

Chiara laughs, loud and clear, and reaches out to grab Violeta's wrist in comfort, "Last time I checked, they already have. But don't worry about it, alright? If they figure it out, they figure it out. We can worry about that when we get there. We have bigger things to worry about right now."

"Like?"

"Like how you're not wearing any clothes and I have nothing to do today," Chiara grins and before Violeta can say that she has a meeting at nine, she's disappeared beneath the sheets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ Present ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

"Question," Omar holds up a hand, signaling Chiara to pause so he can interrupt, "Violeta still publishes music, right?"

"I think so."

"Well, this is probably unrelated to the part of the story that you're at, but you mentioned telling the internet about you two and it got me wondering... what is about social media? The life of both of you, were public. I guess you two got Instagram, Twitter and your music, you are in witness protection, but Violeta-"

Chiara shifts nervously in her seat before shaking her head, "Yeah, I don't... I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? You have internet - don't you check it?"

"No more Spotify, no Twitter, Instagram or YouTube. I'm avoiding social media since that night."

"That night?"

"The night that I had to, you know, 'disappear'," Chiara says the word like it's not the one that she was looking for, but she settles on it anyway, "I don't wanna see what she posted after I left, or listen to the music she released. I don't think I could hear her voice, it would destroy me."