Chapter Four

Someone's singing causes Aaron to wake up a bit.

"Just thinking about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow
'Til there's none.
When I'm stuck with a day
That's gray
And lonely. . ."

Aaron groans tiredly when he hears this.

"Nevaeh, can you not sing like that?" he asks, half-asleep.

". . . I just stick out my chin,
And grin,
And say. . ."

     Aaron's eyes snap open when he remembers why he was asleep to begin with.

     "Nevaeh!" he cries out.

     He sits up a little too quickly, and ends up hitting his head on a ceiling.

     "Ow!" he shouts.

     "Ow!" another person cries out.

     He looks beside him to see Nevaeh on her back and rubbing her head tiredly. Turns out his arm was her pillow before he pulled it out from under her head.

"What the heck?!" she groans as she sits up, careful not to hit her head on the ceiling.

Moo-Moo wakes up as well, and he yawns as he stretches his little body. The three look around to see that they are in a cage on wheels. They must've been out for a couple hours, because they see that it's now somewhere in the early evening, judging from how close the sun is from setting. They look to see that the carriage cage is being pulled by a donkey. Not just any donkey—it's a talking donkey!

"Oh, the sun'll come out tomorrow,
So you gotta hang on 'til tomorrow,
Come what may!" the donkey sings, making Nevaeh and Aaron cringe and Moo-Moo whine softly.

"Um, excuse us, little donkey?" Nevaeh asks.

She is almost hit in the face with a broom.

"Quiet down there!" someone snaps at her.

It turns out there are two witches on top of the cage in charge of driving.

     "Oh, I hate this song," the witch who almost hit Nevaeh complains.

     She takes out a whip and whips the donkey with it, making him yelp.

"But I made up my mind.
I'm keeping my baby.
Ooooh!" the donkey sings.

     "Yeah, I'm driving, so I'm in charge of the music," the second witch, who's holding the reins, says as she takes the whip and gives the donkey another lash, making him stop.

     "Will you witches make up your mind?" he asks.

     This only earns him another lash, and he continues walking.

"No matter what they take from me. . ." he sings.

     The witches grin, apparently loving this song.