Part 27

The heat that rose through my body at the possibilities of the night ahead of me as I looked over myself in the mirror, where what I could only describe as inhuman. I would be lying if I said I wasn't already copious amounts of champagne deep, my body already having that tingling tipsy feeling all over it, and the adrenaline from the entire day only made it worse, but it felt good. It felt good to hear my best friend downstairs in the kitchen pouring our more glasses of champagne, it felt good to have spent the last few hours at her house, giggling and getting ready like we did when we were 16. And it felt good to act like everything was okay, because deep down I hoped, or more so knew, it would be. 

I gave myself one last glance before exiting the bedroom and walking across the landing, the music from downstairs becoming louder and clearer, Danielle singing along. Brad had left the minute we rolled up the driveway, his uber following him in. Danielle had gave him strict instruction to leave us to it, but also to occupy Austin. His texts had come thick and fast the moment I ended the call, and it had taken all my restraint to not text him back immediately. But once the champagne started flowing, the easier it got to ignore him. 

His last text had come 20 minutes ago. 

Austin : I'm sending an Uber in half an hour, if you're ready or not, Miss Insufferable. x

It was the first message I text him back.

Leanne : I'll be ready, I'm just not sure you will be. x 

No response came, and I could only imagine Brad telling him to put his phone away, but I was grateful, because I needed those 20 minutes upstairs by myself to prepare myself fully for the night ahead. 

And as I finally reached the bottom of the stairs, the music now so loud it was hard to really hear myself think, and rounded the corner to my best friend, the look on her face, the way her champagne glass stayed in midair for a few seconds before slowly being put on the counter in front of her, her eyes as she scanned my entire body, and the smile that eventually came to her face, was all the confidence I needed.

"Jesus. Jesus fucking christ." 

She uttered, and I gave her a curtsey with a laugh. 

Austins blazer had done everything I had hoped. Big enough to be passed as a standard blazer dress in size, but the fit being so evident it belonged to a man. The black belt with the silver buckle I had around my waist added a more flattering fit, making my waist look small but equally showing off my curves, whilst also taking off an inch or two in length as it showed off my bare legs. The first button being just below my breast bone, showing off an immense amount of cleavage and so evident I wasn't wearing anything underneath. And then right in the middle of my chest, his ring lay. A necklace I had pulled out of my jewellery box back at my apartment and tore off the pendant that was originally on it to replace it with his ring. 

Paired with my heels, and the hours I had spent on my make up, black winged liner with a black shadow smoke on my under eye, hair curled and flowing down my back, I had never felt more empowered in my life.

My heels clinked on the floor as I strode over to where my best friend stood, taking the full glass from the side of hers, and held it up to it. She grabbed hers immediately and we clinked out glasses together, before erupting into a fit of laughter. 

"Any chance you have something slightly stronger?" I say, taking a drink from the glass. Her eyes widen.

"Second thoughts?" she says, shoving her shoulder with mine playfully. I giggle as I take another deep drink. 

"God no. I'm just going to fold when I see him. I didn't go to all of this effort-" I look down at myself and back up at her. "- to fold in the first 30 seconds."