Chapter One.

30 Days.

    The warmness of the sun peering through my window which at first was nice soon had me sweating under my blankets. With a groan I rolled out of bed, the cold floor beneath my feet sending a wave of shivers through me. The room, a mess of my clothes and pillows tossed off the bed, had the distant smell of women's perfume still lingering in the air. It made me a bit nauseous. Coffee. I needed it.

    Groggily making my way down the endless stairs to the kitchen I pulled on a robe, blowing my hair out of my face as I put water on to boil. It seemed my nighttime partner had left without taking up my offer of eating breakfast with me, which fit me just fine. I preferred mornings with no one, useless chatter that no one remembered always annoyed me.

    Carefully I prepped my coffee, taking care in each step, my brows furrowing in concentration, looking at my phone on the couch when it went off, stretching as I walked over and picked it up;

    'You coming tonight to Liz's bd party?' -Gabriel. Ugh. I forgot that was today. Leaning on the couch I sent a positive response, tossing my phone onto the couch after. Now to get her a gift.

    Once I finished my coffee I went up to shower and clothe myself, singing along to jazz I had placed on my record player, ruffling up my hair in the mirror to match the loose button up and tan pants. Mornings really were my favorite time of day.

.          .         .

    I would certainly miss summer, the cold breeze kissing my exposed skin was a tell-tale sign of autumn on the horizon, but at least the dead leaves allowed for little secrets to be hidden a bit better. Lifting my hand in a wave once I spotted Hans I pulled on a grin, giving him a fist bump once he was close enough.

    "Also gift shopping?" I turned to walk with him down the street.

    "Yeah, I kinda want to get her something special, you know?" He admitted with a light blush. Cute, a crush.

    "Of course, I mean, she likes silver, a partier, kinda sentimental, so get her something useful for her life or with a memory to it. Or both!" I glanced at a jewelry shop, "so, when are you going to ask her out, mm?"

    "Hey! Who said anything about that?!"

    "Your face, Hans." I laughed, "you should ask her tonight. Just make sure your gift is good."

    "Ugh, I suck at that... but I'd like to." He sighed in defeat. "Help me?"

    "Sure thing." I smiled, pointing to a butterfly necklace, "get her that." I could get her the little pendant necklace so as not to outshine him.

    "God, you are good at this." He followed me inside, looking over the merchandise.

    "I just like to make people happy, what can I say? Mm, good day,  could you get us those two necklaces on display, butterfly and clear pendant?" I gave the girl behind the counter a kind smile, turning to face Hans. "How long have you had a crush on Liz?"

    "Ah, about like... a month now?" He shrugged, "it came out of nowhere."

    "Aw, I wish you the best of luck, Hans." I patted his shoulder, handing the cashier my card subtly.

    "Do you have your eye on anyone, Elia?" I shook my head.

    "I've only ever loved one person like that, and it wouldn't be fair to any future partner that I don't love the same." Monet. My one true love... but he had passed. I tried my best not to mop around every time I thought about it but I felt the increasing weight on my shoulders even now.