Chapter Six.

23 Days.

    Waking up to the distant knocking coming from downstairs, I nearly fell back asleep until I remembered Elia's comment on how he would be over in the morning. And I dragged myself from the sheets, whining from the dizziness that stuck with me even as I found my way down the stairs.

And when my hands found the floor right at the last step, it took a moment for the slight pain in my knees to follow. I prayed Elia couldn't hear the fall, but if he did, it wasn't like I was new to lying to him... Which I was by no means proud of.

    "Sorry, I didn't mean to keep you waiting-," I froze when the door opened and I was greeted by Elia holding a bouquet in one hand and a tupperware in the other, "oh-?  What's this all for?" He was truly amazing.

"For you- good morning, lovely!" His smile had me following suit, though his constant nicknames never escaped my attention, "you didn't just fall, did you?"

"No, I was trying to carry something down the stairs and I dropped it." I tilted my head, glancing at the daffodils with an overwhelming happiness. Elia made his feelings towards me very obvious, that much was clear. But in no reality could I give him what he wanted... And I felt bad for it. "This really is such a sweet thing to do- Sorry, please come in." I stepped aside, lifting my leg against my knee to stop the slight irritation.

"You sure?" Elia hesitated and I shook my head,  "if you want to go back to sleep please, by all means."

"Don't be ridiculous, I overslept. Can I get you anything, tea, maybe?" I walked to the kitchen, finding a vase I'd so poorly made when I attempted pottery.

I didn't plan on bringing up anything but the positive from last night, and I hoped he would do the same. There was no point in reliving such embarrassment.

"Ah, tea would be fantastic." He kept his smile as he followed me, "how are you feeling?" Setting the tupperware on the counter, I realized he had so kindly brought me soup.

"Fine, and you? I have a slight headache right now, but that's to be expected." I chuckled, filling the vase with water, then the teapot. By no means was I hungover.

"Oh good! I thought you were a tad very drunk." He laughed softly and I glanced back at him. "I'm very well! I don't get drunk easily."

"Oh, what a dangerous skill! I don't drink so I don't really know how easily I do or don't get intoxicated. But I feel completely fine." I waved it off, checking the time as the minutes I missed taking my pills started making me anxious.

"Ah, that makes me happy to hear. Say, today, would you care to come over to practice ballroom?" I turned to fully face him this time, a slight surprise that after the previous night he still wanted to.

"I would love to! Do you have a space for it?" I moved to take out two mugs. "And what kind is it again? I know waltz, but I don't have a clue about many others, especially not jive."

"You are in luck! It's a waltz, and a viennese waltz." I heard him speak with excitement behind me, "I've studied it for a little but I now have to put it into action."

"Oh? I'm sorry, I think I forgot why you're doing this again..." I laughed, finding the tea petals from the cupboard and the filter.

"It's a private show I'm giving, but after I am invited to stay for the dance. Which would provide more customers, so I'm staying." I felt as Elia kept his eyes on me, and my teeth dug lightly into my nail as I tried not to focus on it.

"How nice! Would you mind the practice being tonight? I have a very important appointment this late morning, but if not, I can certainly make the time!" No I couldn't. I'd put off the doctor to see Elia now far too many times.