Chapter Eleven.

...

    No.

This... couldn't be a reality.

His eyes filled with complete horror- in fear, of me.

My gut churned, Mary's chest rose rapidly, Lancelot's body slowly falling didn't fully register in my mind until my ax nearly fell against my leg and like that, the spell on us both that had kept us frozen in place broke.

    He just had to run. And I had to catch him.

The slam of my front door was followed by Mary's, my eyesight narrowing down to just him, a heat of emotions scrambling my thoughts when our gazes met for only a split second before he turned to run down the street. Hot on his heels I dropped the ax, fixated on his auburn hair, red in the last rays of sunlight. Give up. Just give up, Mary. It wasn't a fair race.

Already you struggle for air, Mary.

Already can my hand brush your hair when I reach out.

Give up.

His scream was cut short, my hand jolting his head back once my fingers took hold of his soft hair, taking a firm hold on his shaking body that fell into me, covering his mouth tightly. Don't struggle. I didn't want to have to hurt you, Mary. "Shh, shh, shh." I panted at his attempts to scream against my hand, walking backwards to avoid trampling his legs.

Cursing when I stumbled over the ax I had left on the ground when we neared my home, and when my grasp loosened Mary slammed his head into my chin, stars dancing in my vision as I fell. Fuck Mary- why try? You stand no-

I scrambled to my feet, pushing to run faster than him as he headed towards Mrs. Jane's home. I didn't want to kill her. Don't make me do that, Mary. Don't.

    My gut dropped when he reached her door, banging on it desperately, his cries for help choked into a scream as my hand took hold of the back of his shirt, dragging him to the side of the house, covering his mouth once I pinned him to the wall, listening intently for Jane, his weak struggles hardly posed a threat of escape. I told you Mary, you aren't a match for me. Even if he became even more frantic at the sound of the door opening.

    "Hello?" Jane's voice rang in the air, and as much as it pained me, I covered Mary's nose as well, waiting even after the door closed till he went limp to withdraw my hand.

    "Why did it have to be you, Mary." I whispered, lifting him into my arms. So light... you had to know you could never escape me, Mary.

.          .         .

    I didn't know what to do with him. I couldn't let him go, I had to... keep him close. We could live together, just as we had planned, and you could look past my sins for I'd never hurt you, Mary.

I didn't kill senselessly, just those who deserved it! That's all. I swear.

    My hands shook as I ran them through my hair, blood covered them from cleaning and moving Lancelot's body. And I paced my basement, Mary laying on the pillows and blankets I had prepared.

It would all be fine. Just fine. He loved me, if I just explained, he could understand! I mean, the world definitely didn't need another scumbag like the corpse that lay at the farther part of the basement. I had to take care of that-

    Lifting the body, I pushed it into one of the freezers, taking the old butcher knife and cutting his hand off, wrapping it in a plastic bag. I hadn't killed in years but the clean up of the body came naturally.