CHAPTER 50: The new boy in town...

LIAM

(Two months later)

John B finds me sitting on the roof as the moonlight shines over me.

We're at JJ's girlfriend's party, Barbie but I'm not feeling it. I haven't been feeling like myself since basketball season ended and losing Vecker didn't help.

I know she said a few months but 11weeks is really pushing it.

"Vecker is here," he hands me a can of beer before adding "with someone called King."

Of course she is.

"Does she look happy?" I take a long sip of my drink.

"She looks a little drunk but I don't know man, she's dragging Jess around." I can hear the tightness in his voice.

John B has a secret involving Jessica and America.

A secret that's eating one of the girls alive and he may think I don't know but I do because I was home when it happened. I'm just waiting for him to say something to me before Vecker finds out.

It won't be a pretty sight.

"America is not here right?" I give him a side eye.

"Yeah, she is in New York for her father's birthday," his voice is strained again. "So this King guy, what do you want me to do?"

Beat him up and break his hand.

"Nothing." Somehow makes it out, "the ball is in Vecker's court. Let's just act like we don't see them."

Like I have been doing these weeks we have been apart, the day I saw her I replayed her face in my head on a loop. I wanted to stop, to talk, to be normal but one at her blue eyes and my heart couldn't take it.

I still can't take it.

"You're the captain," John crushes his can and climbs down.

I gulp down my beer and follow him down. I've fallen from a rooftop once and it's not fun, you know what else is not fun? Seeing my Odie with a guy dancing by the pool.

She is in black shorts, a white vest, an oversized plaid shirt and black strap on boots. Her hair is back to its brunette nature and held back in space buns. Her smile is perfect as Jessica grinds on her in a mini skirt and crop top and I'm assuming the boy smiling at them is Kai King.

I look closer and yes, it's the same prick from the booster's dinner. I knew he was being way too nice with the vodka sodas. I turn around and bump into Olivia, she's a blonde again and wearing a pink dress.

How could I ever think she was Vecker? They're clearly nothing alike.

"I—" I walk past her and go straight for the keg.

I don't know when I pass out but when I wake up, I'm in the backseat of John B's car, still at Barbie's birthday party. I glance at the time and it's almost 2am.

I recall it being past midnight when I came to the car to get a better drink, one I need because when I step out, Odessa is kissing the Kai behind the house.

Another great what the fuck moment by Odessa Vecker everybody.

Normally, I'd lose my crap and beat it out of King but it's been more than 2 months and she hasn't called or reached out since Hawaii. It's time to accept that maybe this time, it might be really over.

Even though I love her, I have to move on and let her be so I grab my bottle under the car seat and hop into a cab that takes me to Goose.

This is what your love did...