2

They were still a few miles off shore when it hit. The storm packed a wallop.

Waves crashed against the side of the vessel, drenching both men from head to toe. Crow's Nest groaned and creaked as the waves lashed out against her over and over again.

Crow kept his eyes fixed for the horizon. Each wave grew, towering over the vessel, threatening to swallow it whole. Crow's knuckles were white as he gripped the wheel, steering a zigzag dodge against the walls of water.

A colossal wave reared high, smashing against the boat, washing over the deck, and soaking both men. Crow's Nest tilted dangerously to one side. Crow listened for the sounds of the hull giving way.

In the instant, a higher wave washed both men off the deck and into the sea. Crow broke the surface, coughing and gasping for breath. Crow's Nest sank.

Crow spied Jip clinging to a large chunk of flotsam floating nearby.

Their eyes met, silent conveying their fate.

Crow desperately grabbed for the edge of the debris as it floated passed.

"We won't give up without a fight, Jip."

"Aye," said the old man.

The storm's rage was easing. With a final thunderous clap, the tempest sank below the horizon, and the sea breathed a sigh of relief.