Chapter 6

My friends waited until I was done with work and we all walked out together. 

The manager, Mr. D,  had been yelling at me all night about caring more about socializing than with my work.

"This better not happen again or your fired, got is Peter!" He called out after me.

"Yes sir, and it's Percy!"

"Whatever."

"Sorry if we got you in trouble, man" Jason said.

"Nah, it's fine, he's always like this. Even if you weren't here he'd find another excuse to yell at me." I tell him.

"He seems awful"

"He is"

"Why do you put up with him then?" Piper asked me.

I rubbed the back of my neck, embarrassed with my next answer, "I need the money"

Piper obviously didn't know what to say next, she surely had problems of her own but money definitely wasn't one of them. 

"I'm sure you could find a better job, though!" Franks remarked

"Yeah, come fix cars with me an Beckendorf!" Leo said

"I'm really no good at that stuff, besides, Mr. D is one of my step-father's good friends." I told them, hoping they would just come off the topic. I almost visibly grimaced just having to call Gabe 'father'.

"Well in that case, why is he so mean to you? Just get your dad to tell him off or something" Grover said, with concern written all over his face. 

I didn't know what to say to that. I couldn't even imagine Gabe doing anything like that. In fact, Gabe was the one who told Mr. D to give me a extra hard time, for discipline. 

Before I could even answer though, they found something even worse to talk about. 

"Percy is that blood seeping through your shirt?" Nico said from behind me, clearly alarmed. 

They all gathered behind me to take a look. I must have ripped open a wound while at work.

"Is that why you flinched when I clapped you on the back this morning? That is not 'just a bruise'" Jason said.

"Guys, guys it's fine really. It looks worse than it is. Just a skateboarding accident." I lied quickly. Annabeth looked both worried and curious at the wound and the fact that I lied about how I got it. 

"I could get my parents to check it our for you. There both doctors" Will said.

"That's okay, it's not bad at all. Really" 

They eventually stopped nagging about it, which I was thankful about. Not all of them looked like they believed my lie, and a lot of them kept looking at me through sideways glances as if I was going to pass out any second or something. 

"Oh! I just remembered. Do you guys want to come to my place on Sunday?" Piper asked

I didn't know if I would be allowed out of the house on a Sunday, but for the time being I simply nodded with the rest of them.

"Great! Percy, I'll text you the address."

"Sounds good!" I said.

A/N: 

follow my on insta: greekdivergents

Comment, vote, share, follow, etc!

Thanks!