01

Small note: I will not only follow the movie, but also the books in places. Therefore, storylines or characters may differ from the movie or characters may be deleted or new characters (from the book or my own) may be added.

____________________________________

Sometimes a small, inconspicuous encounter is enough to set a change in motion.

Every encounter, every non-encounter, every action and deed, every word said and unsaid has an impact on future life. Not only your own, but also that of others. Maybe not immediately, tomorrow or in the near future, but eventually. Many things do not have to happen right away.

Raitaila's first visit to Giedi Prime, for example, was one of those insignificant moments. Long before anything else. Long before House Atreides was extinguished. Not as long as Raitaila's visit, however, was Shaddam IV's treaty with Baron Vladimir and the alliance that came with it.

"Why would a father kill his son?" Raitaila tossed casually as she walked towards her father, "To put him out of his misery, I'm afraid not."

"And why do you ask? You have a sister, not a brother," though Raitaila only tilted her head to the side at her father's words, pulling up the left corner of her mouth and looking at him intensely as a sign that they both knew exactly what was being talked about, "For a higher purpose, sometimes things have to be done that are not easy for us. The greater good is above each and every one of us. A sacrifice for Arrakis."

"Even if it costs thousands?" Raitaila asked, but the Emperor's expression did not change at all, "I hope it will be worth the 'sacrifice' and also....that your conscience can live with it, Father."

"Do not worry about my conscience, dear daughter. I'm much more concerned about your future," an irritated look was the result, as Raitaila was able to follow her father and what he meant, "Harkonnen are dangerous.... And as for Feyd-Rautha, be careful. An alliance that can quickly end in death. I don't know what you're up to, or if the Bene Gesserits want you to do it, but know this: you cannot trust them."

This coming from the man who started an intrigue with the Harkonnen out of envy and jealousy. The end justifies the means.

When is a gift not a gift?

When it only looks like one.

Yes, some things were so insignificant in the great game of power.