Letter 003

Dear Max,

Your dad made it into town. He's waiting in the hospital room with us for you to wake up. I definitely see part of him in you, the best parts. You're carefree and stubborn, just like him. He fully believes you'll wake up (we all do, but he's extra passionate about it with the doctors). When your head doctor told him you might not wake up, your dad stared him dead in the eye and said, "Yes she will. Her heart's still beating, isn't it? So are you a liar or a fucking doctor like your name tag says?"

He's definitely an interesting guy. I've had a few conversations with him, but not too much. I hope I get to know him better when you wake up. Maybe then I'll get to know a part of you that others don't. Seeing you in a coma in those stupid casts makes my heart hurt. I think a part of everyone's hearts is hurting because of it. I know you'll get better, but it just sucks. I wish I could just talk to you and hear your voice again. I'd do anything to sing Never Ending Story with you again.

Will told me that El was the one who healed you, and I'm getting really hopeful that that means she'll be able to heal you fully soon since she's here in Hawkins in person now. But I'm also not sure because Nancy thinks it's a lot more complicated than that. She says she thinks you're trapped in Vecna's mind lair, but that doesn't make sense to me. If your heart is beating and the doctors say you're simply in a coma, your mind literally can't be trapped in someone-- or something else's mind.

Besides, you're way too powerful for Vecna. You escaped his mind lair when no one else did. The music might've helped you, but you did the actual running. You're the bravest person I know. The bravest person anyone knows, really. El said that even Vecna called you brave. Even though I wish it wasn't, that's saying a lot.

You're going to make it out of the coma completely healed. I know it's going to work. I've started praying, just like Joyce.

I miss you, Max. More than anything. Please come back to us soon.

Your friend forever, Lucas