In Her Room

Summary: This is the last place where he should be but he needed to be here. Trafalgar Law, a young surgeon, thinks about her before he ties the knot.

Warnings: Fem!Luffy, LawLu, slightly tragic, hurt/comfort

++++

In Her Room

Fingers clad with arrays of tattoo held a white object that seems out of place on the hardened hands. He held it over the coffee table, making it walk merrily over a made up meadow, like a child playing, as if in a trance. Its soft cottony fur, almost like snow, should have contrasted strongly against the dark mahogany but instead it grayed, as it swept off dust from the surface.

Faint light entered the unlit room. It was only four in the afternoon but it seemed like dusk was approaching soon. The window, like the coffee table, was adorned with dusts along with everything else in the room. It's been months, even years, since someone stepped into that room. The stagnated air was suffocating but he didn't care. His mind was occupied with thoughts that made the poor lighting, the dust, and the stagnated air somehow comforting.

"I know you'd like it, shishishi... "

Law looked at the object on his hand. It was something a first grader would and could buy. A little worn out but still held out quite well, evidently cared for and mended. He's been holding unto it for the whole afternoon now, as if it has become a ludicrous addition to his digits. White with hints of gray in the edges, a white polar bear toy nonetheless.

Childish

He smirked. But his eyes didn't show the playful glint which usually accompanied that expression.

"But... I know you'd like it... "

"You never change, Mugiwara-ya"

Words he aired a long time ago met with another breeze of laughter. He heard it a lot of times, more than he could ever count, not that he wanted to. That fleeting carefree sound. He didn't want to count. He wanted it to go on and on, so much that it would be impossible to count the times he'd hear that laugh. He'd even want to hear it on his deathbed. A somber thought.

But then again, as a surgeon, such thoughts are nothing compared to the morbid scenes he's used to. And he has learned and accepted that one of nature's law is that all things tend toward degradation. Pictures fade. Plants decay. People die. Everything passes by and changes. All these, time etched on his brain yet his eyes blurred and a drop of rain found its way on his made up meadow.

"Damn"

++++

Trafalgar Law was taking a breather from his hectic schedule when he met her. All week long, his colleagues pestered him, calling him their captain, as if they were in a ship - with him leading the newly formed surgical team then. He was sitting on a public bench, trying to relax, slightly thankful for the nice breeze the wind was giving. Two old gardeners argued nearby, throwing the blame back and forth for the ruined patch of sunflowers by the pathway. Not that it mattered for him, but he was bored and worn out to the point that the bickering had become mildly interesting.

Then all of a sudden, something flew by near his feet.

'A straw hat?'

He was about to pick it up, when a girl, some years younger than him perhaps, out of breath, appeared before him. She mumbled something about some treasure and held out her hand for the hat. She looked partly flushed, plenty worried and a little bit mad.