The Hunter And The Wolf

Summary: Searching for his uncle with a basket filled with bread on hand, a hunter meets a hungry wolf in the woods.

Warning: LawLu, slight yaoi, fantasy AU

++++

The Hunter And The Wolf

xxxxxxx  

In a small far-away village of Dressrosa, there lived a young man named Trafalgar D. Water Law – not a lot of people knew his full name and those who do, mostly didn't care so much. Besides he was more known with his epithet, The Surgeon of Death. He was neither a doctor nor death himself as he is just a human but he might as well be death himself.

Like any other villager in a typical village, Law always woke up early and tended to his duties especially when there's too many bread to bake and so few of people who can be relied on. Yes, he lived in a bakery with his uncles and their many followers yet not many can be trusted to bake at least an unburnt bun – much less a decent tasting one.

But none of them really cares if the people in the village weren't fond of their baked goods – for the unassuming bakery at the edge of town is just a cover for what the Donquixote family really does to earn their decent bread and butter.

An infamous organization of hired killers – that's what they are. From all across the lands, spread by hushed whispers and tucked notes, the Donquixote Family is known to take any assassination and bounty hunting requests.

Often, they are tasked to hunt down creatures of supernatural nature. Shape-shifting foxes, luck giving raccoons and walking skeletons, you name it – they'll get it. These creatures fetch high prices and are sold for various purposes, usually for brewing spells and less likely for humans who wants a rare dinner.

One of their stellar members is none other than the Surgeon of Death. Rumor has it that he once took out an enemy's heart without being noticed and ate it before his enemies. He was much known for his prowess as a hunter, not so much for baking. Well, he did hate bread with a passion so he couldn't exactly be blamed for his lack of motivation.

At least, not once did he burn down their whole headquarters because of a brioche.

"Lawsy, be a dear and deliver these bread sticks to Corazon." The head of the family called for Law and a heavy basket was handed to him. "I'm getting a little worried about him. He hasn't sent word for a while."

"Hn." Was his sole response. True, the other Donquixote have yet to reappear these days and he, too, has begun to wonder about his clumsy uncle. So though he dislikes taking orders, he takes his long black coat along with his unusually long nodachi and some essentials, and begun to travel down East. Of course, with the basket that definitely did not contain bread alone.

Law didn't like going to the East. He'd been there a few times and it had always been the same old scene of rare creatures running around and hunters chasing after them. And that cocky guy lurked in those regions.

He had finally reached the border after half a day of traveling. At this point, even he felt hungry – but no, he wasn't going to eat any of the breadsticks if he has a choice. Leaving the basket within the radius of his scope, Law went to look around for anything he can prey on.

When he came back with a deer's leg in hand, he did not expect to find someone nibbling over the bread basket. It ticked him.

How did I not sense this kid?

Then again, the kid had ears covered with black fur and had a black tail behind him as well. This isn't just a plain human with a straw hat on his back – it was a wolf and those are rare. Law had never seen one before. He heard they sell for a very high price especially a wolf's heart. Though at the moment, he felt more interested in knowing if the wolf's tail is as soft as it looks.