To Where You Are

Summary: Law has been searching for something he still hasn't found even after so many years. And now, he spends yet another lonely New Year in a familiar bar with only his memories of her for company. 

Warning: Fem!Luffy, LawLu, modern AU, slightly angsty

++++

To Where You Are  

The cold evening breeze came with yet another New Year and he's back at the same bar where he spent every other New Year since he moved in this city. The minimalist décor was still the same as last year and the year before it. Bubbly balls were strategically littered overhead, barely noticeable with the sultry yet dim lighting. An old fashioned glass of a Bacardi dark rum concoction was on the table – not his usual choice for the season.

His golden eyes inadvertently scanned the area, missing naught.

She won't be coming anymore, huh.

Tattooed fingers lifted the glass to the tanned male's lips. He first sipped a little, then took a swig – the burning sensation of the high-proof alcohol crept on his throat. Gently, he laid the glass down and swirled its contents for the third time tonight. The dark brown liquor reminded him of the colour of her radiant eyes.

"Hey...uhh... Law-kun, right? Enjoying the party?" She was slightly tipsy, confirmed by the whiskey in her hand. He didn't want to talk with Monet but couldn't avoid her either, now that she's right beside him.

"... Yes, of course." He replied.

His forlorn tone failed to escape the green-haired woman's attention despite her inebriated state. She continued, "You don't need someone to pose as your girlfriend this year?" He wanted to ignore her, not that he's impolite. He wasn't comfortable interacting with her or any of his other past paramours whom he once requested to pose as his steady. It felt like he was being judged by them. So he simply answered, "There's no need for that anymore... "

She won't be coming anyway...

Before he can continue, he was interrupted, "Must have found a girl then! Come to think of it, you haven't been searching for one for the past year, right?" His eyes widened in realization and sadly smiled. But before he could respond, the woman had walked off to her friends who had just arrived.

It's true. He hasn't been looking for anyone serious for the past year, and if he would admit it, for the past years really. She was the only one whom he had truly been with.

The New Year had just come around when he first saw her.

He met her at a local diner. The tables were all taken that night and a girl wearing a straw hat begged him to share his table with her since the rest were occupied by three or more people, save for his spot. Not that he found her somewhat fascinating or cute – no, he really didn't care much so he shared his place with her –with that girl whose name he never found out that night. He hadn't really bothered to ask nor did she ever felt the need to say. But he remembers her animatedly engaging him to a conversation about topics that weren't really connected.

"See you around...uhh...Torao!"

Perhaps he may have said his name in passing that night but he didn't particular liked how she butchered his name, even if it strangely felt nice when she called him so. The next time they met was at the university he goes to. He had been talking to a particularly amiable guy whom he had been acquainted with during his undergraduate studies when the said guy's sister just came with a package on her hand. They were both surprised to see each other again, as well as the girl's brother who looked at them with a puzzled face.