2 | Missing hearts

That day was a nightmare. Not only did that scare the living life out of everyone, but also their enthusiasm about the whole ceremony. Since the ceremony could not longer be conducted, we just decided to put up our names and roles on both the junior and senior high school noticeboards. I expected this much, the long-awaited ceremony was shattered into pieces and all... But to my surprise, I started hearing things like

"They came here last year too, didn't they?"

"Even the year before that too"

"Onioc High School is a huge disaster"

"I just hope, none of the members this year are hurt"

What I understood from this was that this mysterious and creepy announcement has been going on for about a decade, and it was said by the principal of another school... I mean, our enemy school for some reason has a problem with ours. Some even said that they were related.

Let's not solely believe all the rumours we hear

With this on my mind, I was walking to class, when I saw a group of students gathering around in a circle by the office's entrance. Along with many other people, I rushed towards the crowd to know what was happening. What I saw left me speechless and my body wavering

It was a corpse. A rotten one at that. Their entire body was torn to shreds with their heart missing as if it was the behaviour or a... Monster. Whispering soon began and someone beside me, who turned out to be Zenitsu, started shivering while mumbling

"Eek! Not again.. not again.. not again"

And when I looked around too, it was just me who seemed utterly clueless. I wanted answers. Just how did the school manage to hide it for so long without anyone outside of the school knowing about these incidents if they've happened previously as well? Just as I was trying to connect the points, a hand pulled me from my shirt collar and said "Hey pigtails! What are all the potatoes doing here in a circle, playing a game?" He then sniffed around "And what the hell is this smell?!"

"From what I know, Inosuke, you shouldn't pull a lady by her collar and secondly, there is a rotten corpse by the office that seems to be in shreds" I replied, trying to act calm by vigorously dusting dust off my collar.

"Isn't it so unusual, Aoi? I thought this was a prestigious school" Kanao chimed in.

I flinched. And turned around to see our fellow members discussing all about this. While Tanjiro was busy comforting Zenitsu, the twins were both jolted awake with thoughts buzzing inside their minds. Inosuke was busy sniffing around.

"I thought so too," I replied

"Didn't our principal say something about the student council curse and that we were the ones or something like that?" Yuichiro pondered

"Also, students and teachers are joining two and two together by saying that the accident of the student council president was connected to this somehow" Muichiro added.

The twins both seemed like shy people, but they were really good talkers.

"What incident??" We all asked in unison except for Inosuke who was now trying to get closer to the corpse.

"Do you not know?" Muichiro said bewildered. And then connected points and realised most of us just joined this school this year.

"Oh, let me take you on a trip down memory lane to uncover the mysterious history of our school. Our school was a first in the area, along with Onioc High School, founded by two brothers, both headmasters, who were extremely competitive with each other. Their rivalry was so intense that the two schools were built simultaneously.