"The New Girl"

The next day I woke up early to curl my hair. As I set my curling iron on the counter to hear up, I heard "My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw start to play. I stood confused for a couple seconds and then realized it was my phone. I groggily shuffled back into my room and grabbed it off the charger. "Hello" I answered while yawning. "Goodmorning baby" I heard on the other end. "DAD!" I said really loud, waking myself up. I heard him giggle on the other end. "hey um dad, I'm about to curl my hair right now so can I call you back when I get home from school?" I asked hoping he wouldn't get mad. "It's fine baby girl, have a good day at school" he said then we ended the call. I curled my hair then washed my face, waking myself up the rest of the way. I got dressed and shuffled downstairs to make some breakfast for myself. After I ate I went back upstairs, brushed my teeth, grabbed my backpack and started for the bus stop. I put my earbuds in and waited for the bus. I stood there messing around on my phone looking up every-now-and-then to see if Eric was there. When I saw Eric walking towards me, I took my earbuds out and smiled at him. "Good morning, Savannah" he said looking at me. "...why are you looking at me like that? Is there something on my face?" I asked feeling my face. "no, it's just... you look so pretty today" I blushed a bit and changed the subject.

"So I don't really know you that well. Do you play any sports?" I asked. "I play baseball and do cross country. What do you do?" "Well at my old school, I did volleyball and I was a cheerleader.. but here, I think I'll just stick to volleyball." I answered. "Why not do cheerleader-ing" he said, purposely messing up the word. "First off, its cheer. and I don't exactly think I'm well-liked here" I said laughing a little. "Give them time, Savannah. They'll love you!" He said putting both of his hands on my shoulders. "And when you're all big and popular, don't forget the little people who helped you get there." He said batting his eyes and giving me the puppy dog look. "And your name is what again?" I asked jokingly.

The bus pulled up and we all filed on, same as yesterday. I sat in the same spot and Eric plopped beside me. "Did you read the note I gave you yesterday?" I asked. "Yeah and..." He started digging in his pocket. "Here" he said handing me a note. I looked up at him. "..what? Is there something on MY face now?" He joked. "Thank you, Eric. Thanks for writing back" It really meant something to me that he would take time out of his day, just to write me back. "It's no problem." He said right a the bus hit a huge pothole. "I'm pretty sure I just got a foot of air on that one" I said laughing uncontrollably. When I had calmed myself, I unfolded the note. "Don't read it right now!" He said trying to grab it from me. "Why not" I asked while holding it away from him. "Because I'm sitting right here!" He said. "Then move" I laughed while pushing him a little. I out my feet in the seat turning my back to him. I read the note while Eric pouted next to me. When I was done reading it I put it in my bookbag and gave him a hug.