Chapter Three.

Life seemed stagnant once Scar formed the alliance. All that talk of big plans seemed to add up to a whole lot of nothing as far as Zira was concerned, but Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed were growing quite close-knit with the lion. Zira found herself, for one of many times in her young lifespan, growing internally conflicted over the whole ordeal.

Scar was a powerful and charismatic creature, undoubtedly. The way he carried himself could not be undersold — He was a charmer.
But this also meant he had the means to be a snake. A snake was something that must be dispatched immediately, she knew well enough.

Zira's lids relaxed as she turned her attention to her child, wriggling at her belly. He was new, and he was weak. A meek little runt, and sickly, but he was hers. Should he survive, she could love him, but she was doing her best to stay unattached.
She hadn't even named him yet.
The refusal to do so was a point of tension between her and Kimya to say the least, but once Zira had an idea in her head, it could not be swayed.

Her beloved padded then into the cavernous skull den, followed by Shenzi. The clan leader seemed of high spirits, despite the grim situation of their food supply.

Zira's ear gave a faint twitch as she met the matriarch's gaze with no discernible expression.
"He's adorable," Shenzi offered in a genuine attempt of comradery as she craned her neck toward the pup, followed by a soft, and somewhat comical, "gitchee-gitchee-goo". The runt of a cub, eyes squinted, shrank further into his mother's side with a yelp of uncertainty. Shenzi chuckled, lifting her attention back to Zira.
"You named him yet? It's been almost a week."

Zira lifted her chin haughtily with a huff of disdain, crossing her forepaws. "A week is not long enough to be sure it won't pass on. I will be naming it when I know that it will stay here."

Shenzi's previously lightened expression darkened slightly, into one of mild aggravation, but she mentioned nothing of it, plopping her rear end down into a sit as Kimya curled around Zira. The hyena pair exchanged a few affectionate licks to one another. Shenzi would have found it sweet, if it weren't for how unbearable Zira was to be around half of the time.

Filling the brief silence as it came to pass, Zira turned her head back to Shenzi, "Scar has not done anything to solve our famine."

"I know," Shenzi answered, furrowing her brows as she looked downcast, as if scolded. Still, she defended herself, "He's just waiting for an opening is all. Mufasa's in the way."

"Then kill Mufasa." Zira snorted.

"It's not that simple, Zira," Kimya reasoned. "It's a political disaster. No one can get close enough to the king without being killed for an assassination attempt. Not even Scar, and he knows that."

"That's why we're waiting," Shenzi pointed out. "Scar says he has a plan to sneak a patrol in and at least get a few good hunts in the Pridelands. If that works, then we'll have something to eat. Better than nothin'."

Zira opened her mouth for a scornful argument, but found that she had little to say. With a grumble, she looked down to her pup, settling in for a nap.