Don't Fall

"Shh, it's okay, Astraea," Minho said as he held me close to his body. I had to say, he was super gentle and warm; I kinda felt like falling to sleep in his arms.

"Newt, what'd you do to her?!" Minho shouted in a scolding tone.

"Minho, you know I wouldn't do a bloody thing to her!" Newt shouted back, his voice slightly wavering.

I looked up at Minho, trying to calm down so I could speak. "I-I- it was m- me."

"Don't speak," the Asian said softly. "Come on, let's get you to bed."

~<Newt's POV>~

I watched as Minho guided a distressed Astraea out of the forest. Seriously, what caused her to panic so bad?

I looked down at my wrist, gently rubbing where she'd grabbed me at. The sting was starting to leave, but there's still a red mark. And how the bloody hell did she grab onto me like that?! Seriously, that girl is full of surprises.

How am I gonna hide the mark from Alby and the others? They'll want to know what happened to me, and it might cause another problem than what we already have. Astraea seemed quiet when she first got here, but now, she's so sassy and stubborn; she does listen, but only when she wants to. The girl has been through so much, I can see how bad whatever happened out there affected her. But if she's lived this long, then we might have a chance at survival.

I went back to my room, found a piece of ripped cloth I wasn't going to use—probably—and tied it around my wrist where Astraea grabbed me; it hurt enough to make me think she made a bruise which truly isn't good, but I made sure it covered the area.

~<Astraea's POV>~

When we got to my room in the homestead, Minho did his best to calm me down, but it wasn't doing much; nothing would help me, and nothing ever has.

Minho eventually stopped trying to cheer me up and said, "Ray, what did that slinthead do to you?"

I closed my eyes for a few seconds before gazing up at Minho. "Newt couldn't do anything to me that I wouldn't like, but I'm trying to help y'all escape; I'm risking my life for y'all to live freely. I've tried telling y'all, I have nothing to live for except y'all. And I will save someone if I can."

"You're part of us now. Everyone that comes in that box is an extra person for us to protect, and you're one of them," Minho explained to me. He gently smacked my shoulder like an older brother. "Newt's just trying to do his job."

I nodded. "I guess."

"Get some sleep," he advised. "You won't see me 'til supper tomorrow." He smiled at me before he stood and walked out.

~<WICKED>~

"We have to get her out!"

"We can't! There's no way except the hole!"

"She can't die on our watch; we'll all be killed!"

"Astraea isn't going to make it if she stays in there with all those boys!"

"I have a family!"

"How are we going to keep her safe without letting Group A know we're helping her!?"