Chapter 7

Chapter 7 -

Warnings - references to abuse

Enjolras had been too deep in discussion with Combeferre last night when Eponine had left the Musain to notice her departure. He had walked home alone, expecting her to be waiting for him at the door since she did not yet have a key. When he arrived to an empty apartment he was apprehensive of the situation. Perhaps she had crashed at Grantaire's. It was not like her to do so though, but then again he had not been living with her for very long. How did he know what was and wasn't normal behaviour for her? He disregarded the matter, deciding he would investigate further in the morning. For all he knew, she could be on her way now.

Morning arrived and Enjolras made his own cup of coffee for the first time in three weeks. He made a mess out of it, forgetting to even boil the water at first and when it was finally done, it just didn't taste quite right. He sat to drink it in his usual spot. He looked across at the empty seat opposite him and caught himself missing the way her auburn hair would fall in strands around the steaming mug as she lifted it to drink. Enjolras scolded himself for thinking such sentimental thoughts and left his coffee half full to go prepare for the rally later that morning. He scooped up the pile of flyers by his bed and breezed out of the door.

Grantaire was surprisingly already at the Musain when Enjolras arrived at nine.

"Grantaire, have you seen Eponine?" He wasted no time asking the man. He frowned at him.

"Why would I have seen her? You're the one who lives with her." He asked, squinting at the marmoreal man.

"She didn't come back to the apartment last night, I thought she might've stayed with you since she walked you home."

"She walks me home every night, since when has she ever stayed over?" He snapped at the accusing tone in Enjolras's voice.

"I don't know, I just..." He trailed off, starting to worry. He dropped his head into his hands as sat beside Grantaire.

"Hey, Courf and her are close, maybe he knows where she is." His voice wavering, never having seen the man look so uneasy. He looked up at the cynic, not used to interacting with him sober.

"I guess." He resigned himself to wait until Courfeyrac showed up just minutes later with Gavroche on his tail.

"Have you seen her?" He jumped up as he entered. Courfeyrac's expression was creased with confusion.

"Eponine." Grantaire provided but he still showed no sign of recognition.

"No, why would I have? She lives with you, Enjolras."

"I know, she didn't come home last night." Enjolras snapped slightly, his agitation growing.

"Eponine's missing?" Gavroche materialised beside his friend, his face drained of colour. The men looked among themselves uncomfortably as adults do when breaking bad news to a child. Finally Grantaire nodded at the boy. He looked down for a moment and then a new resolve formed in his eyes and he stood with his chin up and stared at Enjolras.

"Leave it to me, do the rally. I'll find her." Enjolras nodded at the boy in admiration of his maturity and watched as he scurried off into the crowds outside.