Chap. 14 Marinette wants a break

If you're reading this work on another platform than Wattpad or ao3, it has been stolen. Please read it on N3verlandsShadow on ao3 or neverlandsshadow on Wattpad instead
********************************************************
Luka gently roused Marinette Sunday morning shortly after 10AM. "Hey, Nettie, you need to eat something."

There was at that very moment nothing less enticing than getting up from her first comfortable sleep in weeks, but, Luka being the most amazing friend, had brought the breakfast to her and soon enough she was munching away at a chocolate croissant and drinking apple juice. She discreetly stuck Tikki a piece of the croissant when Luka wasn't looking.

"What are your plans for the week?" Luka asked as he sat down on his bed.

"Another group project, commissions and trying to not let life run me over." Marinette replied, still not awake enough for her normal nervous filter to set in. Not that she was still that level of nervous around Luka, he made her feel safe, why would she need to feel on her guard around him?

"Feel like hanging out at the art room? We have a lot of free time this week for our upcoming art project." Luka said. "Cerise and Dante will be there too."

"Sure, I'll show up if I get a free period." She finished her croissant. "I can always do some work on my commissions while there." Thanks to Jagged she had quite a few of those now.

They spent the rest of the morning chatting aimlessly until Marinette had to head home.

The walk home was nice, the warm weather and slow lull of people moving around doing their own thing instilling a sense of peace. Marinette would live in the moment for the rest of her life if she could.

"Have you seen the fox?" A little girl's excited voice caught her attention.

"No, have you?" Another child pouted. "Minnie said she saw the fox too, but mom always pulls me away before I can see anything."

Marinette felt shivers as she listened. She absentmindedly bought something from a vendor right beside where the kids were speaking so she could keep listening in.

"I wonder when Ladybug is going to say something. They're friends, right?" The second kid wondered. "She was friends with the other superheroes, right? So why hasn't she said that there's a new one?"

Because she didn't know.

The kids moved along after, who she assumed was, their parents called for them. Leaving Marinette to fiddle with what she had bought.

It was a little cat keychain made of felt, she realized, soft and cute as she twisted it around in her hand.

Fuu choose another holder. And he didn't say a thing to her.

The rest of the walk was nowhere near as nice, her day now tainted by the newfound knowledge.

Alya was going to hate her.

There was no way she would happily accept a new fox. She had been Rena Rogue whenever a fox was needed for so long now, what was Ladybug going to say when a new fox showed up? It wasn't as if she could say it wasn't her choice. No one could know about Fuu.

And what was Chat going to say?

She had been so against knowing each others identity, while choosing temporary holders- but, they were just that, temporary. This was not a temporary hero, and she did not choose this one, but would Chat believe that?

"Hello, dear."

Marinette looked up to greet her mom, just now realizing she had reached the bakery. "Hi mom." After accepting some sweets she went up to her room, careful to lock her door. "Tikki, what do I do?"