01. Begin

"Hello. This is Derek's Delights. What would you like to order?"

Day still found it difficult no matter how many times he had ordered stuff through phone calls.

Going without speaking to anyone in person for a long time took a toll on him. His interaction with other people was confined to asking the payment details and things like that.

Maybe it was because it was his first time ordering a cake, he thought as an excuse to answer why he felt so nervous.

"Um, hello?"

He flinched slightly, realizing that he had zoned out.

"Red velvet pastry. 7th Street. First house." He said in one breath.

The line was silent for a moment, making Day even more tensed.

Did he say something wrong? He wondered.

"Okay, sir. Your order is placed. It will arrive shortly."

Day felt relief at that, and he nodded. Stupidly, he realized that the other person couldn't see him, so he muttered a small thank you and hung up.

Sighing, he staggered towards the couch and sat on it carefully. The bakery was barely two minutes' walk from his place, and he knew that the person who received his call thought of him as a weirdo or even a lazy person.

It can't be helped. He needed to eat sugary delicacies to get him going. It always helped him to clear off his writer's block and probably put him in a good mood.

He had to start working on his book. For now, he was planning on completing the book in Braille and later translating it into English. He didn't want his work to be limited only to a certain category of people. He wanted everyone to be able to read his novel.

That would be one way he could be happy about himself for once.

It didn't go unnoticeable to Day that his recent self-talk revolved around him doubting himself and his abilities. He used to be a person with high self-esteem, but now he wasn't so sure if that was still the case.

He released another sad sigh.

That was when the doorbell rang. His position turned stiff. He tightened his hold on the walking stick and made his way towards the door.

Gulping down his growing anxiety, he opened the door. That being the only way, some fresh air entered his house since he didn't like the idea of leaving the windows open and endangering him in some way.

He could feel that there was a person before him. Neither of them said anything for a few seconds, making Day doubt whether he was mistaken about someone being near him.

All the delivery men Day had come across, shoved the stuff he ordered into his hands and strolled away the moment Day paid them.

They probably didn't even ponder whether Day was blind or not. It was not that they hated Day. They were busy and had a lot of things to do other than entertain an unsighted person with courtesy.

"Uh h-hello?" Day felt stupid, but he had to confirm whether he was staring at air for the past few seconds or not.

"Hi," he heard a voice finally.

Day scrunched his eyebrows. Why wasn't this person saying anything else? Was he not a delivery man?

"Are you here to deliver my order?" Day couldn't help but ask since that person didn't clear his doubts.

"Oh right, yes," Day heard some fiddling, "Here's your cake. Sir."

Day couldn't stop the chuckle that escaped his lips. This person used honorifics as if he were forced to do it.

"Are you new here?" Day asked, confusing himself. Since when did he care if any random delivery guy lived here or not?

"Yes," Day could feel that the person was getting embarrassed, "Is it that obvious?"

Day put on a small smile, "No," he lied.

He forwarded his hand so that the other person could give him his pastry. After receiving it, he pulled his phone out of his sweatpant's pocket, "Wait a moment, I'll make the payment."

"Sure." Day heard him speak.

Putting the phone before his face, Day spoke a little louder, "Open Gpay."

The person before him waited patiently in mild amusement as Day continued uttering instructions into the phone.

"Here, it's paid." Day turned the phone so that the other person could see it.

"Alright. Sir."

There it was again.

"You don't need to call me that. I know it is a rule, but I'd rather you drop it." Day said.

Day didn't want anyone to feel obliged to address him that way just because he was a customer.

"Oh, are you sure?"

"Yes." Day nodded. Unlike during the phone call, his nodding gesture was actually visible to the person in front of him now. Day concluded that it was the same person since their voices were similar.

"Then, can I ask what your name is?" That person cautiously asked.

Day was taken aback at that moment. Was he too friendly with the delivery guy? Was it okay to exchange names and remain acquaintances? Would it deviate him from accomplishing his goal of writing?

The sole reason for his change of town was so that he could focus on himself and grow as a person.

Day shook his head, and thought that he was just overthinking.

"It's okay if you don't want to." He heard the voice, "We're not supposed to know a customer's name anyway." He added a chuckle that sounded awkward.

"Day."

"Hm?"

"My name is Day." He said with a smile, and he hoped that he was facing the right direction.

"Oh." The person in front of him shifted from one leg to another, not knowing what to say, "Nice name."

Day chuckled again. He hadn't done that in a long time.

"What's yours?" Day asked, deciding that it was the best thing to do considering the circumstances.

"Mhok."