Chapter 1

Disclaimer:

This book contains references to names, places, and events that may bear similarities to real-life individuals, locations, or occurrences. Any resemblance is purely coincidental and unintentional. The content is a work of fiction and has been created solely for entertainment purposes. No identification with actual persons, places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred. Additionally, locations of buildings and cities may be intentionally altered or changed for narrative purposes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The initial sensation was one of cold. The damp cold that seeped into the very core of your being, instantly chilling you. The humidity here surpassed that of Moscow - likely due to the proximity of two large water reservoirs. It was a stark contrast to the oppressive heat within the cramped confines of the prisoner transport train, where he had endured a sleepless night drenched in sweat. Despite wearing a winter jacket and padded pants, they offered little warmth, and his wet thermals uncomfortably clung to his body. Daniel clenched his jaw tightly to prevent his teeth from chattering as they were escorted through the expansive grounds, determined not to display any hint of fear. Fear must not be shown.

The next sensation that enveloped Daniel was tension. The barren, ice-coated ground, the uniformly shaped barracks, and the towering concrete walls enclosing the area all created an eerie sense of desolation, heightening the nervousness to an extreme level. Daniel felt as though his very being was vibrating with a combination of tension and coldness - touch him now, and he feared he might burst into uncontrollable hysteria. He gritted his teeth even harder, almost to the point of discomfort, exhaling sharp puffs of steam into the frigid air.

The third, fundamental, prevailing sensation was fear, an ominous, all-pervading dread that filled the atmosphere like a freezing chill. The clanging of heavy boots and the sharp barking commands made Daniel flinch. He watched cautiously as the newcomers were broken into teams and herded into their assigned barracks, where they would face torment at the hands of the convicts. As Stephen King put it, they were now "fresh meat," the species who would be designated their place in the food chain. He couldn't afford to fail; he needed to balance between outward humility, willingness to assimilate, and inner strength. Showing teeth while wagging tail - two mutually exclusive behavior patterns. And even if you managed to earn acceptance, there was no room for complacency. You had to remain vigilant, observant, and refrain from touching any things but your own. 

The rusty iron door at the rear of the barracks sorrowfully groaned open, releasing an unrelenting stench of unwashed bodies, lingering tobacco scent, stale socks, and unexpectedly - warmth. Daniel deliberately lingered, pretending to adjust his boot, allowing others to pass ahead of him. He swayed as someone pushed him forward, finding refuge behind the broad, trembling back of another inmate as they entered the dimly lit interior, under the scrutiny of heavy, appraising gazes.

Contrary to its outward appearance, the barracks, packed with inmates, was surprisingly tidy but exuded the musky scent of livestock. The warmth gradually seeped through layers of clothing, reaching Daniel's chilled skin and providing some relief to his frazzled nerves. As the newcomers were instinctively flocking together, it was impossible to see those to whom they were reporting. You could only catch glimpses of what was going on as the finished ones moved away. And even those glimpses were uninformative. A burly, gray-haired convict sat at a table near the window, covered with brightly colored plastic tablecloth, two men stood deferentially by his side - one towering with a bald, lumpy head, and the other smaller in stature. Daniel nervously swallowed - ok, clear now. Judging by the way he held himself, the seated man appeared to be one of the shot callers as they are called in prison jargon, with the other two presumably his closest associates.