Chapter 50

Daniel reopened his laptop to revise the presentation when he was surprised by Alexander's entrance. It was the first time he'd seen him in the office in two months since their ski resort trip. Daria's spirits lifted instantly. She had noticed Alexander's chilly attitude towards his protégé, which seemed to have improve their collaboration microclimate.

"Hello, Alexander. I sent you the index report three days ago. Have you had a chance to review it?" Daria asked.

"Hello, Daria. Yes, I did, but I forgot to respond. It's an excellent result," Alexander replied, offering Daria a warm smile before turning a cold gaze towards Daniel. "I messaged you. Why didn't you respond?"

"I apologize. I've been swamped with work," Daniel said, picking up his phone from the charging dock and switching on the sound. "I accidentally had it on silent."

"I see," Alexander's demeanor softened slightly. "Come to my office; I need to speak with you."

Daniel stood up, gripping his phone tightly in his hand. Alexander hadn't fucked him in the office before, and Daniel didn't want to start now. It was one last boundary to preserve the separation of spaces, to keep from feeling even more degraded than usual. He followed Alexander, mentally repeating, "it's just sex, just sex," but couldn't help letting out a brief, wistful sigh when they entered Alexander's office.

"What's wrong?" Alexander's demeanor shifted instantly, his narrowed eyes piercing into Daniel.

"It's nothing, just a stomachache," Daniel tried to maintain a calm appearance, hiding how much this situation was hurting him. He had long realized that Alexander was trying to penetrate deeper through his mental defenses, to break them down and elicit a genuine emotional response, not a surrogate detached one. Not going to happen in this lifetime.

"Then go home; there's no need to push yourself. You are not doing anything worth jack anyway," Alexander leaned against the table, studying him intently. "We're leaving for Singapore in a week."

His heart skipped a beat, freezing for a second before racing. Daniel stared at Alexander in disbelief, unable to believe what he was hearing. Singapore... Flying to another country would mean his charges would be dropped, and he would be truly free to go to his consulate and demand protection. It was an incredible opportunity that could lead him to the freedom he so desperately sought, far more effectively than his futile and pathetic search for the truth.

"Why do I need to be there?" Daniel asked cautiously, fearing that Alexander might agree he wasn't necessary.

"It's how I want it," Alexander replied tersely. "I need to make a certain impression. You're perfect for the entourage; you'll complement me."

The explanation was weak, barely scoring a two out of ten for credibility. The real reason was likely more straightforward – he was taking Daniel along for sex. Yet it was still unclear why he would take such a risk. Perhaps Alexander wanted to test him, to see if he would dare to escape. Another experiment wouldn't be out of the question. Daniel nodded, accepting the explanation, and asked.

"How many days?"

"Five. You'll need to meet with a stylist and choose outfits for various occasions. The dress code ranges from business to formal, and we have two major banquets planned. I'm flying with my fiancée..." Alexander paused as Daniel caught his breath, astonished. "...with Nastya, and you'll act as my strategic adviser. Gosha is also coming, so no funny business. Understood?"

"Understood," Daniel hesitantly backed toward the door. "Can I go now?"

"Wait," Alexander softened. "Does your stomach hurt a lot?"