Chapter 42

_ . _

Chapter 42

Samael, Erichthonius, and Demeter wasted no time and took their seats on chairs arranged in the middle of a spacious, empty room. Samael was direct and told Demeter his purpose without any compliments. "Goddess Demeter, do you know about the curse that afflicts my body?"

Demeter looked at him for a moment before replying, "I think that curse is not bound to your body, but to your soul."

Samael was surprised. Circe had never mentioned this. This could be an important piece of information. "What do you mean by that?"

"Do you know the reason why the stick you hold is called the 'Twig of Emotion'?" Demeter asked with a smile. Samael and Erichthonius both shook their heads in confusion, and the goddess chuckled as she began to explain. "There is a saying that 'Emotions are the most powerful thing in this world'. That is indeed true. The ancient tree that you destroyed to obtain the twig of emotion is a prime example of how powerful an entity can become if it is filled with emotions."

Samael felt a pang of guilt. He remained silent for a while, not knowing what to say. Erichthonius, on the other hand, was quite interested in the topic, so he spoke on behalf of Samael. "Goddess Demeter, may I ask how an entity can gain power just by having emotions? Emotions are only an abstract phenomenon that humans, animals, and gods share. It's true that emotions can influence the outcomes of their choices and actions, but I don't think they are powerful enough to create a curse or something like an ancient magic that surpasses divinity."

"Child of Athena, emotions are not a power in themselves, but they arise from the heart of any being. For gods and others like us, emotions can also shape our power."

"Desire, dream, and ambition can become reality if the emotion is strong enough. Many gods have awakened their true selves based on their aspirations. Look at Artemis, for example. She is a woman who cherishes freedom and hunting, so she became the Goddess of the Wilderness, a perfect role for her as a master huntress in the wild. If this world is a living fantasy, then emotions are the key for every living being, because they are what motivates them to live and keep moving forward."

Demeter turned her gaze to the refreshing sight of the lush green forest outside the window. She gently moved her hand, and the grass that was full of life instantly withered, its bright green color fading to a dull gray. "But what about negative emotions?"

Samael looked at her in awe, finally grasping what she meant by emotions being the most powerful thing in the world. "Hate, grief, sorrow, envy... What happens when these dark emotions consume a living being?" Demeter asked, looking intently at Samael. "They are not only poison to themselves but also a dreadful curse with no escape."

"These negative emotions can grow stronger if they are not released. A person who suppresses their negative emotions, accumulating them and locking them in their heart, can become a curse."

Demeter looked at Samael with a gentle smile, as if she wanted to comfort him for his suffering. "Do you understand now, child?"

"Yes." Samael smiled back, but inside, his smile was full of self-pity. "Can a curse be passed from one person to another?"

"Yes, it can," Demeter said. "But the transfer depends on the will of the one who made the curse. If they give the curse to someone else, that person can't give it to anyone else without their permission." Demeter shook her head. "How wicked, don't you think?"

"..."

"To tell you the truth, I saw through your plan from the beginning," Demeter said to Samael, her smile turning playful.