6 | oh

I LOVE YOU.

Lysander was giddy as Alina walked her through the Little Palace, one destination in mind

Lysander was giddy as Alina walked her through the Little Palace, one destination in mind. While she was training with Ivan the first day, Alina had already come across the library — and the Apparat, who she said was very unsettling and odd. But he told her all about amplifiers as well as Ilya Morozova, the Bonesmith.

Knowing how much Lysander loved to read — because it was so rare they had new books in the small library at the orphanage — Alina couldn't wait to show her the library. She'd likely spend half the day in there just browsing the shelves, and Alina would be content to watch her so long as it put a smile on Lysander's face.

It was amazing when Alina threw the double doors open, revealing rows and rows of texts that were waiting to be combed through. Lysander didn't need to be told twice as she rushed to the shelves, beginning to search for familiar and interesting titles. All of the copies were in much better shape than the moldy old books they grew up with.

Alina was quite amused as Lysander returned to the table she was sitting at, her arms full of books. There wasn't a way for her to get through them all in one day, so she'd be bringing them back to her room.

The younger of the two girls was engrossed in a book that explained the fascinating history of Durast and all that they were capable of outside of just fixing things. In some cultures, they were raised to fight alongside Inferni and Squallers. She was so focused that she didn't even notice when Alina was joined by a certain general.

Both Alina and Kirigan were hanging back and watching her read, her pouty bottom lip stuck between her teeth as she read something particularly interesting.

"Seems she's in her own little world," Kirigan noted, leaning against the wall and crossing his arms leisurely.

Alina smiled and nodded. "She'd always get so excited when we'd get a new book at the orphanage. This is like a heaven to her."

"Well, I'm glad she's enjoying her time here," he said. "I was worried about her acclimating after seeing her at combat training with Ivan."

"I don't think she'll ever adjust to combat," she admitted. "Lysander's always been gentle. Not even Ivan can change that."

Silence fell over the pair, and Alina finally dragged her eyes away from Lysander's reading form. She watched Kirigan closely, noticing how his usually hard gaze was softened. So, Alina couldn't help but narrow her eyes, jealousy filling her.

"You're glaring," Kirigan noted, not taking his eyes off Lysander. "Any particular reason why?"

"I don't like the way you look at her, General," she said flatly.

He raised an eyebrow, finally dragging his gaze to Alina. "And how is it that I look at her?"

"You look at her the way I look at her," she huffed, "not that she'd ever notice."