16~WHITE LUXURIOUS BEARD

I've been running around for hours, searching desperately for someone, anyone, who can...

Spotting a woman who seemed approachable, I hurried over, hoping for a different outcome this time.

"Hi, uhmm, Hola, Tú hablas Inglés?" I asked her if she spoke English, for some reason everyone else didn't.

"Sí, Yo hablo Inglés," she replied, and relief flooded over me. Finally, someone who could understand me.

"Finally, I've been running around looking for someone who speaks English, anyone, and I couldn't find anyone. I took Spanish on that app Duolingo, but it didn't cover much, so I couldn't even ask what I wanted to say..."

"Oh, uhmmm, my English isn't very good," the lady interrupted, dashing my hopes.

"Oh, ok, Lo Siento, Gracias."

Feeling defeated, I sank to my knees, tears threatening to spill. Slowly, I opened my eyes, confusion enveloping my mind. It was just a dream; I was still in my room.

When did I fall asleep? I remembered getting home, feeling nervous about talking to Nad. I also remembered trying to script it so I wouldn't mess up. I think that's when I fell asleep.

I searched around for my phone and finally found it on my bedside table. I checked the time and saw it was 5:00 PM. My stomach grumbled incessantly, urging me downstairs for a snack.

"If it isn't sleeping beauty, you can't escape me today," Cinth said, glaring at me, obviously waiting so long to say that.

"Lemme just get a snack first; I can't handle a scolding on an empty stomach," I replied. I knew I couldn't avoid it anymore; well, I just woke up, I was too tired to try, so I better get a snack. It might be the last snack I ever have.

"You're so dramatic," my conscience chimed in, and I could feel it rolling its eyes.

I sat right across from Cinth because she tends to get physical when it comes to Alex, not like a terrible beating, but like a nice slap or punch.

"I'm not going to scold you," I didn't see that coming. "You have been acting like a brat, but I get it; you don't know how to handle your feelings. But I just wish that you thought about Alex's feelings this whole time. Alex doesn't know he's sick, but he does know something is wrong, and he thinks it's his fault. The day you screamed at him, he came to me crying, saying he was sorry for whatever he did to make us all sad and that I should please tell him so he can make it better." I felt my heart drop; I didn't think he'd blame himself.

"You always do this, do something bad, and then avoid the outcome. You need to grow up and at least try to fix it, not avoid it because you think it's right."

"I'm not avoiding my problems. Every minute I leave all the people I've hurt alone without making things right, it hurts me. But I've never felt like this before; I was afraid I'd hurt someone else in the mix of my emotions. So I decided to deal with it first and fix everything later," I said, on the brink of tears. I'm so emotional.

"I understand, but just don't take too long so you won't miss your chance, and know that whatever you do to family, they'll always come back in the end," Cinth said in an all-knowing way. I started to imagine her stroking her luxurious white beard as she said that with a staff in her other hand.

"Okay, wise one," Cinth chuckled at that and threw a pillow at my face.

After our laughter died down, there was this lingering silence. I was looking for something, anything to say, and then I remembered.

"I had a really weird dream," Cinth nodded at that, urging me to talk.

"I don't know where I was, but everyone around me was speaking Spanish, and they were celebrating Cinco de Mayo, so they were all trying to feed me food. And then, when I escaped the Cinco de Mayo celebration, I went around trying to ask anyone if they saw my horse so I could ride it to my farm," Cinth started to chuckle after my narration.

"You have the weirdest dreams," she said in between laughs.

We talked some more until we decided to watch a show. After a while, we heard a car pull up, and my heart started to beat frantically. I wasn't good at apologies, and I was kinda worried.

I started practicing what I would say and what I would do, then it hit me. I ran upstairs as quickly as I could to go get what would be perfect. I went to the bottom of my drawers and brought it out, setting it on my desk.

I ran back downstairs, hoping Alex wasn't asleep so I could apologize and give him the thing. As I got there, I saw him seated next to Cinth, watching TV. I slowly walked in front of them and waved at Alex. He waved back and smiled halfheartedly as he moved closer to Cinth. My heart broke at that, as Cinth gave me a pitiful smile.

"Alex, where's mum and dad?" I asked in an attempt to start a conversation.

"They went out to get something," Cinth replied after Alex didn't talk for a while. He looked a little scared of me. Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes as I attempted to go straight to the point.

"Alex, can you follow me? There's something I have to tell you." Alex looked at Cinth, and she whispered in his ears. He moved to my side and started to follow me. On our way up, I started pouring my heart out to him.

"Alex, sorry I screamed at you and made you scared; I was just very sad because..." I struggled to find the right words to complete my sentence. "Because of school."

"Okay," he said, and that just broke my heart further.

"To make it up to you, there's something I'd like to give you." He looked at me a little confused, probably wondering what it was going to be.

I opened the door, and there it was, it looked really good. He looked at me to confirm if I was actually planning to give him it or not; I nodded in reply, making him run towards it with a big smile on his face.

Do you guys remember that paper house I made when I was 13? Well, Alex always wanted it. I didn't want to give it to him, but early last year, I decided since it was just gathering dust, I'd make it better and give it to him for his birthday. But once I was done, I completely forgot about it and the fact I wanted to give it to him for his birthday. So I gave it to him now; I should probably start thinking of what to give him for his birthday.

"I was supposed to give you it for your birthday, but now you get two gifts from me," he ran over to engulf me in a big hug, and I couldn't help but smile, but my smile didn't last long when I started imagining the worst-case scenario. My heart started to beat frantically as tears started to burn my eyes. I felt a drop fall slowly down the side of my face as I quickly tried to cover it up.

I picked Alex up and hugged him tighter, hoping I'd never lose him. Then he started to cough. I quickly loosened my grip and put him down, looking in horror. As I caught a glimpse of his face in my panic, I noticed he was smiling.

"Your bear hugs are too tight," he said. I wanted to get mad at him for putting me through the fear he did, but I'm sure he barely knew what was happening to him. So I smiled and threatened to tickle him, and then he ran downstairs.

I stood up to close my door, and then I fell back on my bed, feeling overwhelmed as I allowed the tears to stream down my face.

I heard someone gently open the door as I tried to cover my tears, but it was too late.

The person came to sit beside me, and I hugged them tight as tears streamed down uncontrollably.

"He'll be fine, honey; he's strong; he'll be okay," my dad said as he stroked my hair.

I continued to cry, unable to say a word. Once my cry had slowly died down, my dad spoke up.

"Your friends are here."

Oh no, not another apology.

Author's note:
Hi guys, *stares in guilt*. Sorry for another late one, I had so much to do and when I was done I just had writer's block so I couldn't write for a while. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Thanks for reading, don't forget to vote and drop what you think. Byeeeee😁😁