Chapter 44

_ . _

Chapter 44

It took three days for Eros' power to fade from Phobos and Demios' bodies. Aphrodite was frantic when she discovered her two foster sons lying unconscious on the ground after the awakening ceremony, completely ignoring her biological son, who had vanished right after the incident.

Phobos and Demios finally woke up after three days. They were confused and disoriented at first, unsure why they had passed out. Aphrodite was busy with her duties, but she spared some time for the twins, checking on their condition.

"What do you mean Eros is missing?" Aphrodite snapped, shattering the sapphire necklace in her hands.

The priestess who had reported to her trembled in fear, too scared to utter another word. Aphrodite's fury grew as she received no answer. She hurled the broken necklace at the priestess, who was kneeling before her.

"You're useless! Find that brat right now! Search every nook and cranny in the human realm! I'm sure he's hiding there!"

"Yes, Goddess!" The priestess cried out as she bowed. "I'm sorry! Please spare my life! Please!"

"Agh!" Aphrodite covered her ears and slammed her other hand on the table. "Get out! You're so loud! Someone get this insect out of my sight!"

Two guards dragged the priestess away from her, leaving her alone in her chambers. Soon after, the twins entered Aphrodite's chambers. "We're here, mother."

Aphrodite felt a wave of relief when she saw Phobos and Demios. She extended her palm and greeted the twins with a faint smile on her face. "My sons, are you feeling better now?"

Phobos smiled and nodded. "Yes, mother." He then looked at Demios. The two exchanged wicked smiles before turning their eyes back to their mother. "Mother, we remember everything that happened."

The snake's tongue was not the only thing that twisted the truth. The story that the twins told Aphrodite was very different from what Eros had gone through. According to them, Eros was filled with envy towards Phobos and Deimos, who always enjoyed Aphrodite's favor. He took advantage of his awakening ceremony, when everyone was busy with the banquet, and attacked the twins with the bow he had received from Zeus. He knocked them out and fled the scene.

Aphrodite was furious when she heard this distorted version of events. She sent several elite warriors, some of whom were from the temple she had ties with, to the human realm to look for Eros. But three weeks passed, and there was no sign of him.

The reports from the warriors became more and more bizarre. One said he got lost in a forest and saw Eros, but then he forgot who he was looking for and wandered around aimlessly. Another said he had no memory of a person named Eros at all, as if someone had erased his existence. They all said the same thing: Eros' presence was fading from their minds, as if someone had cast a spell on them.

"Damn it!" Aphrodite shouted as she smashed a vase when she entered her temple. "Nothing is working! Where did that brat go? He didn't go to Ayaia Island to ask for Circe's help, did he?"

Phobos and Demios immediately attended to her. They ordered a priestess to fetch some wine for Aphrodite to drink, while the twins came forward to soothe their angered mother. "This is all that brat's fault!" Aphrodite shouted as she continued to break more vase decorations on the pillars of the entrance. "Ever since I gave birth to him, Ares' affection for me is gone! All he ever does is catch up to that bitch Athena! She's an eyesore to us goddesses! What good did he even see in her wretched being?!"