2. Things Fall Apart

The halls of INTI headquarters were quiet as Diana walked through them. Her steps were soft on the thick carpet, and she moved slowly, weighed down by grief. Since Paithoon's death, Diana had withdrawn into herself. Her sadness was so deep it felt like it might swallow her whole. She found comfort in being alone, listening to sad jazz music in her room, taking long walks in the gardens, and punching the boxing bag in the gym.

But even in her solitude, thoughts of Paithoon were always with her, a constant reminder of her loss. Days went by, and Diana realized something that made her uneasy. She had forgotten to take her hormones. It seemed like a small mistake, but it bothered her. Without the hormones, old feelings and traits she had worked hard to change started to come back. It reminded her of the fragile balance she maintained every day between who she was and who she wanted to be.

Through all this, one person stayed by her side: Melanie Boza. Melanie had been the one to tell her about Paithoon's death. She was strong and supportive, a light in Diana's darkest moments. But even Melanie's support couldn't take away the shadows in Diana's heart. As she sat alone in her apartment, listening to Coltrane's saxophone, Diana had a new realization. She wanted to leave INTI.

This thought surprised her and made her nervous. INTI had been her home for as long as she could remember, like family. But after Paithoon's death, Diana felt her connection to the organization weakening. She felt less and less tied to its mission.

Standing in the dim hallway of INTI, heavy with grief and uncertainty, she walked to Melanie's office. Melanie was playing in the black Steinway the Debussy's Clair de Lune, a piece she loved. Diana waited for her to finish, then spoke softly.

"I feel it's time to leave INTI."

"You don't have to," Melanie replied. "You're part of us, part of our team." Diana looked down. "I need to go back to Portugal. I'm an engineer, not a fighter. It's time for me to leave."

"Maybe you just need some rest," Melanie suggested. "You can think it over later."

"I've been thinking about it all week," Diana said. "My decision is final. I'm sure. I have to go. I'm sorry, but this is what I need to do."

Melanie looked at her with sadness and understanding in her blue eyes. "I understand, Diana," she said with regret. "But remember, you will always have a place here if you ever want to reconsider your decision."

Diana nodded, a small smile on her lips. "Thank you, Melanie," she said, grateful. "For everything."

As she turned to leave, her footsteps echoed in the quiet hallway. The road ahead for Diana Corte Real was uncertain, but she would walk it with her head held high, knowing she was finally free to create her own path.