8. Arriving to Bangkok

As Diana settled into her seat for the 10-hour flight to Bangkok, she thought back to why she had left Portugal and started this journey. It had been a difficult time in her life, full of uncertainty, but leaving it all behind had felt freeing.

Diana grew up with an overly protective Catholic mother and always felt confined by her small hometown. She dreamed of escaping and exploring the world beyond. But fate had other plans. After losing her job twice early in her engineering career, Diana felt lost. Her dreams of living abroad seemed distant and impossible.

Then, everything changed. She discovered a strange game online called Cicada 3301. It started with a cryptic image on internet forums. The image contained complex puzzles involving ciphers, steganography, and references to literature and history. Intrigued, Diana dived in, determined to solve the mysteries. She succeeded and was contacted by the creators, who turned out to be INTI, a mysterious organization that recruited highly intelligent individuals.

Soon, Diana was in Switzerland at INTI headquarters. She found her true calling, dedicating herself to the work of espionage. There, she met Paithoon, a master of Muay Thai and a skilled agent. They faced many dangers together and formed a deep bond. But now Paithoon was gone, leaving a hole in Diana's heart.

As the plane flew towards Bangkok, Diana practiced the meditation techniques Paithoon had taught her. She felt a sense of peace, knowing she was on the right path. Waiting for her in Bangkok was Wayne Schrader, a former FBI agent who would be her guide and mentor.

When the plane landed at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport, Diana felt excitement and caution. The sun was shining in a clear blue sky as she stepped outside, scanning the crowd for Wayne Schrader. She spotted him leaning against a sleek black Toyota sedan, looking like a typical retired American tourist.

"Ms. Corte Real, I presume?" Wayne said as she approached, his tone slightly condescending. "Welcome to Bangkok."

Diana forced a polite smile, ignoring her annoyance. "Thank you, Mr. Schrader," she replied evenly. "It's good to meet you."Wayne eyed her up and down before turning away with a dismissive snort. "Let's not waste any time," he said, gesturing for her to get into the car. "We've got at least an hour drive ahead of us in Bangkok's rush hour. First time here, eh?"

As Diana settled into the passenger seat, she braced herself for the journey. She had heard stories about Wayne's brash demeanor and abrasive personality and knew she would have to earn his respect.

"So, Ms. Corte Real," Wayne began sarcastically. "What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?"

Diana clenched her jaw, holding back her frustration. "I'm here on assignment for INTI," she replied tersely. "Not for sightseeing."

Wayne chuckled, the sound grating on Diana's nerves. "Oh, I'm sure you'll find plenty of sights to see in Bangkok," he said with innuendo. "If you know where to look."Diana bristled, her patience wearing thin. "I'm here to do a job, Mr. Schrader," she said through gritted teeth. "I suggest you focus on yours."

Wayne laughed again, his condescending tone annoying Diana even more. "Don't worry, sweetheart," he said. "I'll take good care of you."

As they drove through Bangkok's bustling streets, Wayne told exaggerated stories of his FBI days. Beneath his bravado, Diana sensed his insecurity and fear of being overshadowed.

"So, Ms. Corte Real," Wayne said more seriously. "What's it like being a transgender woman in espionage?"

Diana tightened her jaw, fists clenched in her lap. "It's no different than being anyone else," she replied evenly. "I'm here to do a job, just like you."

Wayne's expression softened slightly. "Well, I suppose we'll see about that," he said cryptically.

When they arrived at the hotel in Silom, amidst skyscrapers and busy workers, Diana sighed in relief. She was glad to be free of Wayne's company. But as she stepped into the bustling city streets, she knew her journey was far from over.

"Can I help with the luggage?" Wayne offered.

"No need, I can do it myself," Diana replied. "I think you need more help than I do."