5. A Change Is Gonna Come

The cold Swiss air greeted Diana as she stepped off the plane in Bern, her heart heavy with anticipation. Drago had brought her back to INTI headquarters safely, but now she stood at the beginning of a new chapter in her life.

Walking through the corridors of INTI, Diana's mind raced with questions. What had her father's involvement with INTI been? How did it lead to his death at the hands of the Mano Negra?

Determined, Diana sought out Melanie, her mentor and confidante. She found Melanie in her office, playing Bill Evan's "Waltz for Debby" on the grand piano.

"Melanie," Diana said, her voice steady despite her inner turmoil. "I need to know about my father's involvement with INTI."

Melanie stopped playing and looked at Diana with a mix of sadness and resolve. "Your father was a brilliant man," she said softly. "He believed in INTI's mission to fight against the forces of darkness."

Diana's heart clenched at the mention of her father. "But what happened to him?" she asked quietly.

Melanie's gaze hardened. "He was killed on a mission in Thailand," she replied, sorrow in her voice.

"Please, I need to know everything about this mission and why my father was involved."The pieces of the puzzle began to fall into place in Diana's mind. Paithoon's death, the mission to drain the funds of the Mano Negra, and now the revelation of Qasim Ali's plan to acquire the formula for nuclear cold fusion. It was a web of intrigue and danger.

"Your father's target was Mahmoud Ali, a competent scientist with good contacts in nanotechnology labs," Melanie explained.

"Melanie, was I chosen because I'm Jose Pedro Corte Real's daughter, or because I solved the Cicada 3301 puzzles?" Diana asked.

"It's not easy to answer," Melanie replied. "But solving the riddle helped us decide, and being Jose Pedro's daughter reassured us."

"Why did that matter?" Diana pressed.

"Because your father was a good, smart, creative, and determined man. Like you," Melanie said. "Genes count, believe me."

"Okay, Melanie, I want to reconsider my decision. I want to finish my father's work and avenge Paithoon."

"Mahmoud died two years ago, officially from a heart attack," Melanie said. "But Mano Negra and his son Qasim are still active. The cold fusion project has been delayed but not stopped. Representatives will meet Qasim at the Queen's tournament to sell the formula and ethernium."

"Ethernium?"

"Yes, it's a rare element that facilitates cold fusion at room temperature. Handling it requires millions, which you can win at the best Muay Thai tournament in the world," Melanie said.

"We must finish what my father and Paithoon started," Diana said, determined. "We must stop Qasim Ali."

"Are you sure? We already have agents in Thailand for that."

"But no one like me to win the Queen's tournament," Diana insisted.

"Please, think this over. Killing an innocent man in Berlin was a bad idea. You need rest," Melanie said seriously.

"Melanie, INTI knows this is meant for me. There's no need to reconsider."

Melanie looked at her with concern and admiration. "It won't be easy, Diana," she said. "Qasim Ali is a formidable opponent, and the Queen's tournament will have the best fighters in the world."

Diana was undeterred. "I can do it. I'm getting better at Muay Thai. With your help, we can stop Qasim Ali."

Melanie's eyes sparkled with determination. "There's one man who can make you the best Muay Thai fighter in the world," she said. "His name is Jean Claude, and he arrives from Belgium tomorrow."

It was decided. Diana would embark on her most dangerous mission yet.