Chapter 6 - Bella's Near Death and Preparation for Prom

Days passed. 

Bella didn't call. Not once. 

Charlie was at his wits' end, Renee called every other hour, and Lucrezia just fumed silently in her attic. The whole town was talking in hushed whispers about Chief Swan's flighty ex-wife and his daughter. 

Not able to handle the stress, Charlie fled to Billy's house in La Push, away from gossips.

That is why Lucrezia picked up the phone call of Carlisle telling her that Bella tripped down two flights of stairs and went straight through a window. 

She immediately contacted her father, who quickly booked a flight to Phoenix. She also called her mother, who told her she would be going to the hospital as well. Lucy declined when her dad asked if she was coming or not. She still thought Bella was selfish and reckless and didn't want to vent her feelings when she was still unconscious. 

While she was alone, she thought of what Dr. Cullen told her about Bella and her injuries. Her sister was clumsy and she was a danger magnet, yes. But is tripping down two flights of stairs and out a window truly possible? There are no staircases that have two flights of them just connected in a straight line, are there? You have to make at least one turn to go up two flights. 

She sat at her desk and began scribbling.

Maybe the staircase was just placed in a 90-degree angle and she bounced off the wall after rolling down the first flight and tumbled down the second one. 

Or maybe it was a spiral staircase and she just endlessly bounced down.

But what kind of architect plans a window right at the foot of the stairs close to the floor? Especially a very easily breaking one?

 Lucrezia was not as clumsy as her sister, but she did have some memories of falling down stairs too. She remembered that she landed as a heap on the ground at the foot of the stairs. Her legs kind of stopped her from rolling onward when the staircase ended. She never really stopped far away from the stairs.

So how did Bella manage to fling herself out a window - if there was indeed a window - that would have been at least two feet away from her final landing spot?

Two days later, Charlie texted Lucy that Bella woke up. He told her that Bella broke a leg and has a lot of cuts from glass pieces, but now that she is fine. He also told her that Renee tried to take Bella with her but Bella refused. Both Charlie and Renee could see that her reason for staying in Forks was Edward and Edward alone. 

Charlie's voice was so depressed that it made Lucy's heart break. She didn't want Bella to come back and live with them again but he convinced her to give Bella another chance. 

Lucrezia never really talked to Bella unless it was completely necessary from then on. Her friends, even Forks Gossip Queen Jessica, didn't bring her up when Lucy was around. Every Forks High School students could see that Lucrezia hated Edward and practically loathed Edward. Alice, who claimed that she was best of friends with Bella was also on Lucy's bad side. Lucy became incredibly close to Rosalie who seemed to hold a lot of grudge towards both Edward and Bella. Bella often glared at Lucy when she was talking with Rosalie while Edward was desperately trying to gain Lucy and Charlie's trust back. 

The entire town was walking on thin ice when Lucrezia came into their sight. Once happy and bubbly girl lost her sparkling eyes and she looked tired and sick of everything. But as weeks passed happy Lucy came back, although she was a bit more sarcastic when she had to address certain Cullens. 

One of the things that cheered Lucrezia up was prom. It was all Lucy, Jessica, and Angela talked about when they had the chance. They talked about makeup mostly. Jessica and Angela planned their date after attending prom, and Lucy talked about how she was going to enjoy the prom by herself. Mike, after Lucy helped him deciding on a corsage, tipped her off discreetly about prizes that could be bought with chips won from roulette and poker. 

"I'm gonna crash the prom."

"What are you going to do all alone?" Jessica asked, comparing different shades of lipsticks.

"Gamble, get drunk," Lucy shrugged.

"You can't get drunk, there won't be any alcohol!" fussed Angela, giving her a look.

"Angel, honey, I'm sure someone is going to spike the punch," Lucrezia laughed, and the three girls all looked at Tyler and Mike. "And I'm carrying my purse. Also, my dress has pockets."

Jessica laughed outright at Angela's horrified face along with Lucy. Only Jessica knew that Lucy bought a beautiful hip flask to smuggle whiskey in.

-----------------------------------------

Just a filler chapter before prom!