━ 𝘴𝘪𝘹𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

16. 𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔡𝔭𝔬𝔬𝔩 | ❝ What's His Name? ❞

ADELLA PACED HER BEDROOM, still fuming over the events at the scrimmage game

ADELLA PACED HER BEDROOM, still fuming over the events at the scrimmage game. How could she have been so naïve? How did she not see that Garrett and Violet were...were evil? What was she going to do now? She lost the trust of two people who were supposed to be her friends, how could she trust anyone else? 

"Del, you're spinning," her big brother mused. She stopped pacing and turned to see him leaning against the doorway of her bedroom. She was dressed for school, but still reeling and got distracted. "Wanna talk about it?"

She crossed her arms over her chest and raised a brow at him. "Wanna talk about the Defect problem?" He frowned and she smirked a little to herself. "Yeah, I know about Elias Town being killed by a Defect. Do you think — "

Alaric entered her room and cut her off. "I don't know. There's no proof, and you know that there have been more Defects than they like to admit." He sat on her bed, wringing his hands together tightly. "But, no, I don't to talk about that right now." He looked up at her. "I want to talk about how you're doing. You just found out two of your friends are assassins out to kill us for money."

Adella sighed in frustration. "I mean, I'm...I'm pissed," she admitted, throwing her hands up slightly. "I wasn't all that close to either of them, but still. I...I trusted them, you know?" Alaric nodded but remained silent so she could rant and collect her thoughts. "But this whole time, they...they're assassins. They've killed two innocent werewolves and for what? A pay day? They tried to kill Brett and, even though sometimes I've wanted to do the same — " He chuckled under his breath. " — he didn't deserve what happened to him."

Alaric nodded again, listening to her and watching her pace her room. "Unfortunately, that's what makes it hard to protect your charges and still have some kind of a life," he told her. "You have to be so vigilant, assume everyone is a threat to you and your charge...it's hard to be able to make friends."

She looked to her brother. "But you made friends with Scott and the others so fast. How did you know you could trust them?"

"Mamí and a mercenary I ran into both told me to help Scott. He proved himself pretty quickly, too." Alaric chuckled. "He has such a big moral compass...it was hard not to trust him."

Adella laughed and Alaric let out a breath of relief. He had been worried about her since they found out about The Orphans, but being able to make her laugh was a good sign. She wasn't going to shut everyone out.

"You're gonna be okay," he promised her, standing up so he was standing in front of her. "It's going to take some getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it. It'll get easier to read people, I promise."

She wrapped her arms around his waist and he hugged her back. "I got your back, Del," he swore. "You're not going to do it alone."

And that was all she needed. Knowing her big brother was there, to help her and guide her until she was ready to do it on her own gave her the confidence to believe that she really could do it. She could be as great and as strong as him one day.