A New Russia

The Tsar was overwhelmed by the enormity of the situation and did not give up his crown easily. A full day passed before he reached a decision, with concerned advisors, burdened generals, and worried doctors all gathered before him. Eventually, after considering their counsel, Nicholas yielded to the pressure from the Duma and Grand Dukes. He named Grand Duke Michael as regent until his son, Alexei II, reached maturity in 1922 - a five-year period.

But in an effort to maintain some control, the Tsar laid out conditions for his abdication. He demanded to have a say in his son's education, wanting to have some influence over the tutors and curriculum. He also wanted Alexei to be able to spend time with the family during summers and Christmases, hoping for a sense of normalcy for his son. And he insisted on retaining the right to approve his children's marriages as a father. However, the Duma proposed a compromise: Alexei could visit his family twice a year, but a government-appointed tutor would always be present. The Tsar could only have input on his daughters' marriages while Alexei's future marriage would be handled by the government as a matter of state.

The future of the Tsar's family was uncertain, with no clear plans in place. The children were still struggling with illness and too weak to be moved from the Alexander Palace. The government had not reached out to any foreign countries to see if they would take them in. In the midst of all this confusion, the announcement was made that the Tsar and Tsarina would have to leave Russia within three to five months, with their daughters having the choice to stay or go with them.

The signing ceremony in St. George's Hall lacked the grandeur and fanfare of a coronation. Instead of trumpets blaring and crowds cheering, there was only a tense silence broken by murmurs from witnesses - Grand Dukes, Duma deputies, and high-ranking military officials. Vladimir, standing behind his father next to the soon-to-be ex-Tsar, couldn't help but feel underwhelmed by this pivotal moment in their nation's history

With a heavy heart and longing for his family at Tsarskoye Selo, the Tsar signed the document with swift resignation. He quickly set the paper aside and rose from the table, a definitive end to an era that had lasted twenty-three years. Two revolutions had shaken the empire, wars had drained its resources, and rumours of mysticism and corruption plagued the ruler. In the end, it was a simple gesture - a flourish of his hand - that brought an abrupt close to his reign.

Under the regency of Grand Duke Michael, the country underwent swift changes and reforms. No public or private celebrations were held in honour of the former Tsar, but there was widespread joy at the news of his abdication. The angry crowds quickly transformed into displays of support for the "Young Tsar" and his uncle.

Keeping his promises, Michael first appointed a responsible government led by Prince Lvov. He then made a significant announcement: within six months, a referendum would determine the fate of a constitutional monarchy in Russia, placing the decision in the hands of the people. The Allied forces were pleased to hear that Russia's unwavering commitment to the war effort remained unchanged.

The return of Dmitri from the Persian front at the end of the month brought about the greatest change for Vladimir and his family. Even Grand Dukes Michael and Alexander, who rarely attended such mundane events, stood at the platform with the anxious family. The doors opened, revealing a thinner and wearier Dmitri. A hacking cough erupted from his lips, reminding all present of the harsh conditions he had endured. He stumbled onto the platform and immediately collapsed into his father's waiting arms. Grand Duke Paul, known for his lack of public displays of emotion, felt a lump form in his throat. Tears welled up in his eyes, blurring his vision, as he held his son close. A single sob escaped from him, raw and uncontrolled, reflecting months of worry.

The following day, newspapers were filled with pictures and articles detailing the emotional scene. Dmitri, forever linked to Rasputin's downfall, became a symbol of bravery. His heartfelt reunion with his devoted father became a powerful tool used by the new government to sway public opinion.

The former Emperor's family disappeared from the public eye for several weeks as they dealt with their personal struggles. The children, still recovering from illness, faced a difficult battle. Grand Duchess Marie was particularly ill, suffering from double pneumonia. But eventually, she began to recover. During this time of immense emotional turmoil, the family kept their privacy. Despite pressure from the government to display Alexei alongside his uncle, the family chose to grieve and reflect in private. They needed time to heal and plan for an uncertain future.

However, their plans for exile were met with obstacles. Their first choice, Livadia Palace in Crimea, was quickly rejected by the government due to the Romanovs' unpopularity. Even moving far away from the capital was not enough to appease them. England seemed like a natural option because of the Empress's upbringing there, but they were not welcomed by the King who feared their presence would cause unrest and damage his own reputation due to their lack of popularity.

After months of difficult negotiations, led by Grand Duke Michael and the Dowager Empress, a solution was finally reached. The King and government agreed to exile on the Isle of Man. This remote location provided isolation and protection from public scrutiny for the family until public opinion towards them improved.

The abdication not only shattered the dynasty but also strained relationships within the family. Watching her sons at odds was deeply distressing for the Dowager Empress. She publicly supported Michael's regency, believing him better suited for the turbulent times and hoping that Nicholas would benefit from a period of rest.

Even the extended family became divided. With the exception of Prince Gabriel, the Konstantinovichis remained fiercely loyal to Nicholas and privately rejected Michael as regent. Vladimir had formed a close friendship with Igor and Constantine when they all studied at the Corps des Pages academy in Russia. He had spent many evenings at their home, learning about literature and writing from their father, Grand Duke Constantine, who had been like a father figure to him. But after discovering that Vladimir had been present during and supported the abdication, they ended their friendship with him.

Anna Vyrubova's brother-in-law, Alexander, who was also Vladimir's older half-brother, had already made the decision to follow the Tsar and his family into exile. He would be taking his three young daughters with him, which was a harsh blow for everyone, but especially for Vladimir's mother.

Rumours circulated until the very end that one or two of the sisters wanted to stay in Russia to care for Alexei. Vladimir held onto hope that Olga would be one of them. He knew she still saw him as an enemy, responsible for removing her father from the throne and separating their family. But he hoped that with time, he could explain his actions and gain her understanding. If she chose to leave, it would be the final severance, ending any chance of reconciliation between them.

Despite their limited interactions, Olga had a strong hold on Vladimir's heart. In their last conversation, she had reminded him that they barely knew each other. Logically, he should move on, and he had tried to do so. But deep down, he couldn't shake the belief that he would never find someone like her again; his soul had found its match in hers. The thought of losing her was unbearable.

However, this hope was crushed when news arrived in early July that all four daughters would be exiled with their parents. This news, just two weeks before the former Emperor and Empress's exile, felt like a final and devastating blow to Vladimir's hopes for a future with Olga.

One morning, as they sat at the breakfast table with only Irina for company, his father explained that it was a form of protest. Alexandra didn't agree with the government's interference in Alexei's education and had painted a bleak picture of Russia's future to her daughters, leading them to reject staying in the country while their uncle acted as Regent.

Vladimir tried to nod in understanding, but his throat felt constricted and he had to force down the rising emotions. He focused on his toast, barely able to lift it to his mouth. Across from him, Irina glanced at him, perhaps with concern, but she didn't say anything.

"A pity," his father continued. "It would be good for Alexei to have at least some of his close family with him, but if they're not willing to stay, nobody is going to force them. In a way, the government is glad that they're all going, it's one less problem for them to deal with."

Vladimir forced himself to eat the toast, each bite feeling like it was stuck in his throat. The sound of chewing seemed to echo in the silent room, making him cringe with every scrape against his raw throat. Irina noticed his struggle and kept looking over at him from her own plate, her sharp eyes picking up on his discomfort.

All of his hope for Olga staying, which he had held onto for weeks, vanished in an instant.