four

Chapter Four

April

So far it hasn't been too bad. JJ has spent the last fifteen minutes distracting me by making jokes and funny faces, but I was genuinely okay.

Going back out into the marsh wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

"Good mornin'" some people from the Cut greet us as we round the docks, and we give them a wave back.

"Sure hope Guffy's both didn't sink," JJ was now standing on the edge of the boat, glancing back at us. "He doesn't have insurance."

"Yeah," JB nodded before greeting Miss Amy and her husband. "Hi Miss Amy! You guys get through it?"

"Still here," she nodded, picking up some shit that had washed up from the storm. "Welcome back, Ape!"

"Thanks, Miss Amy, y'all take care!" I shouted back, as we passed them.

"She totally looked at me," JJ told us, and I laugh. Leave it to JJ to think all the moms on the island want him.

"I saw it," John B eggs him on, and I shake my head. "Dude, look at this place."

"Agatha, what did you do?" JJ whistled.

The surrounding docks were filled with shit that had washed up from the water, as well as broken tree branches and trash.

"She is a crazy lady," John B shakes his head.

"Hard-core," JJ agrees. "Phew. Hurricane surge. We'll be cleaning this all summer."

"That is my nightmare," John B turns the wheel, and we begin heading towards Heyward's.

"Well, look who we have here," I move closer to the end of the boat by the dock, and lean my hands against the edge.

"Whoo!" JJ exclaims, grabbing Pope's attention.

"We have a safety meeting," John B says. "Attendance mandatory."

"I can't," Pope shook his head. "My pop's got me on lockdown."

"Come on, man," John B tells him, as JJ mimics the sound of static with his mouth.

"Your dad's a pussy. Over."

"Oh, I heard that, you little bastard," Heyward comes up behind Pope. "Oh, hey, Ape. When'd you get back?"

"Hi Heyward!" I smile at him. "Just yesterday morning."

"We need your son," John B says.

"Yeah, and island rules," JJ adds. "Day after a hurricane's a free day."

"Now, who the hell made that up?" Heyward asked him.

"Uh... Pentagon, I think," JJ replied, making shit up. "We have security clearance. I have a card."

"Think I'm stupid?" Heywards glances over at him, and looks at me. "Why do you hangout with these knuckleheads?"

"They're all I know," I shrug with a sweet smile.

It was true. I'd never known anything more than JB and JJ, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

"I'll do it tomorrow," Pope looks back at Heyward. "I promise. Tomorrow, I—"

"You think... no, no," Heyward quickly cuts him off. "Hell no. You doin' it right now."

"Get in the boat," John B whispers at him.