five

Chapter Five

April

I look out towards a pile of seaweed and grass in the marsh, as John B turns the wheel, and notice what appeared to be a human leg tangled up in it.

What the fuck?

"Uh... guys?" I glance back at my friends, all of who were occupied.

John B was busy steering the boat, Pope was reading a book, JJ was fishing, and Kie was listening to music, scrolling through her phone.

"What's up, Barney?" JJ's the first to look at me.

"I think there's a body over there," I point towards the pile of seaweed.

"Shut up," Kie shakes his head and I look at her seriously. "Are you for real?"

"Come look," I gesture for her to join me at the end of the boat, and she does.

"Holy shit guys, she's right," Kie says, and JJ and Pope walk over to join us.

"JB, turn the boat around," I tell him, and he turns the wheel to do as I said.

"Wait..." Pope narrows his eyes at the spot. "Is it just me or does that look like..."

"Dad?" I feel all the air escape my lungs as we approach the body for a better look, and my heart drops to the pit of my stomach.

No, no, no, no, no. It's not— It can't be.

Kie gasps beside me, a hand flying up to her mouth, as Pope mutters, "Oh my god."

"Ape, you can't—" JJ attempts to hold me back when I try to jump into the water, but I push him off.

"Get off me," I say, proceeding into the water.

I quickly swim towards the grassy area, my heartbeat quickening with every arm stroke.

When I finally reach the body, I let out a sob.

"Dad?" I shouted, as if he was going to answer. His body was drained of all color and freezing to the touch, his eyes wide open, and his lips parted. "Daddy?"

I shake him with everything in me, but he doesn't budge. "No," I shake my head. "Daddy? Dad, please wake up!"

"Ape, Ape, Ape," I feel JJ's arms wrap around my shoulders in a strong hold to stop me from fidgeting in the water. "Stop."

"No," I shout, trying to get out of his hold. "He's not dead! Daddy!"

"We need to get him in the boat," I hear JJ whisper behind me, and it's only then that I notice that John B, Pope, and Kie were in the water too.

I feel myself disassociate, the sounds of their voices fading into white noise, as JJ slowly removes his arms from around me and gently pushes me towards Kie to help Pope and John B.

"Ape, it's okay," she says, but I know it's not.

She wraps her arms around me and leans my head against her to comfort me, but it doesn't work. I don't think anything can comfort me right now. Or ever.

Before I know it, dad's body is laying in the middle of the boat, and I'm staring at it, feeling just as pale and lifeless as he looks.

I want to scream and cry, but I can't seem to make a sound.