9. (Part 1)

The day of Joseph's housewarming party had finally arrived, and Mya was less than excited to attend

The day of Joseph's housewarming party had finally arrived, and Mya was less than excited to attend. Her visit with Zay had left her feeling hopeless and fearful about their future together. Despite this, Mya knew that wallowing in bed all day wouldn't help her situation. She decided to attend the party as a welcome distraction and because she had promised Joseph she would be there. Mya, who was usually punctual, debated whether to arrive early to help with preparations or show up a bit late to avoid being the first guest. In the end, she chose to make a fashionably late entrance.

In her hands, she carried a bottle of Pinot Noir, a recommendation made by the wine connoisseur herself, Anisa. Stepping across the hall, Mya knocked with anticipation. She checked her Apple Watch to see if Cherelle was there or on her way, but she had no new notifications. Suddenly, the door to the apartment opened revealing a smiling Joseph. He was dressed casually in a short sleeved polo, black jeans and Nike dunks. He'd gotten a haircut since she last saw him, so the curly fro was gone.

"What's good, Mya," he grinned, embracing her in a friendly hug. My shut her eyes blissfully as the familiar scent of his cologne enveloped her. It was so consistent it became a comfort scent for her, "thank you for coming," he continued.

"Thank you for inviting me. Your place is beautiful," she said pulling away, "very obvious you had no part in that."

"Oh, you got jokes?" He chuckled.

"Where is she so I can compliment the right person?" she teased. He chuckled in response.

"In the kitchen making drinks I think."

"Oh, yeah! I brought wine," Mya said, nearly forgetting the bottle in her hand, "I'm not a huge drinker, but my best friend is so I got her expertise. She said this was the best one if you're on the fence about sweet and dry wines."

"Word. I ain't much of a wine drinker myself, but that one over there...every night," he chuckled, "c'mon let me get you something to eat."

Mya nodded and followed behind Joseph, making the short trip to the kitchen. She noticed a few other guests already mingling in the living room while some sat at the barstools mingling with Joseph's fiancée.

"Hey, baby," he greeted her with a kiss on her forehead, "Mya's here. She brought wine, too."

Her eyes lit up as that was the fourth wine bottle to be gifted to her today. Her stash was growing and she couldn't be happier. Mya smiled, extending the bottle to her.

"Ooh, and it's the good kind! Thank you, Mya!" She said, taking the bottle and rounding the table to give her a hug, "you hungry? His aunt stopped by earlier and made all this food. It's way too much for us to finish on our own."

"I could eat," Mya shrugged, "What you got?"

"Comfort food; fried chicken, chicken and rice, baked beans, corn bread, green beans, roasted corn, uh,...oh, pasta salad and potato salad in the fridge... babe, am I missing something?"