Chapter 1: The Beginning

*Please make sure to read the authors note!

Maria's Pov

March 1989

"Your mom and I are so proud of you mija, you've changed your life for the better." My father said as he hugged me, we had just won the Texas State Tournament.

"We told you this was in your best interest to move here with your Tia and you have so many schools looking at you." My mom said as she finally had her chance to hug me.

I honestly didn't want to admit to my parents moving me here was definitely the best decision they could've made, I was able to change my life in more ways than one. Winning state as a freshman, dating the cutest guy in my grade who I could see a future with. It wasn't only that I was already getting schools looking at me, which I definitely didn't expect.

If only I knew that my life would be changing in the next few months.

May 1989

"Maria what do you mean that you haven't had your period? You and Matt were being safe right?" Sara asked as she looked over at me, we had been hanging over at her house since school had ended.

"Well uhh.. I thought my period was off because of all of the working out we had been doing. You know how coach is.. especially with me." I said as I look over at her getting up from her bed.

"Maria I think we should seriously go get a test." She said as she got up moving over to hug me.

June 1989

"I can't do this Maria, I can't be a father I am 15, going into my sophomore year of high school." Matt said as tears just streamed down my face.

"You think I can? I am only 15 too? But the two of us did this, the baby is our child.. what I thought was our love."  I said as my parents entered the room, they had time off and had come into visit.

"Who are you talking to?" My dad asked as I just shook my head, when I had found out last month I had quickly told Matt who said he would be there.

"I.. I umm." I stuttered out as my dad took the phone from my hand.

"You are going to have to deal with this on your own Maria, I have my whole life ahead of me." I could hear him screaming into the phone as I heard a click signaling he ended the call.

"Are you going to tell me what that was?" My dad asked as he slowly turned towards me. My grip on my mom becoming tighter.

"Dile mija a tu apa." My mom said as I finally lifted my head.

"Estoy embarazada apa." I finally said as I feel my mom hold me tighter.

"Aye hija. And it's his?" He asked as I just nodded my head. "¿Dónde vive? Quiero hablar con sus padres."

"No dad I can do this on my own, we don't need to involve them." I said almost panicking.

"Hija mírame." He said as he gently lifted my chin. "Las cosas pasan, Tu madre y yo nos tuvimos el uno al otro. Sé que eres fuerte, pero se necesitan dos."

I nodded my head once again as he had me show them where Matt lived. His house was about as big as my parents house in Tennessee is, and when I would come over his parents would make me feel at home.

I was so deep in my thoughts that I hadn't noticed that we had been stopped at Matt's house for a while.

I hadn't even realized that my parents were at the front door, I quickly make my way towards them.