-Seven-

We stopped at a small diner on the strip of stores. We went by a window where it was gradually getting color as the sun set. 

"Have you ever been to a black tie? I haven't" Peter said as he took a bite of his burger. 

"No not even close I mean prom, but that's not the same" I said. 

I guess it would have rich people and people that were considered really important. Everybody was important. Not just the rich or government officials. 

"No, it isn't. I didn't even go to mine because well I had other things to do" he said. 

"If it makes you feel better, I went with a jerk" I said. 

"A jerk?" Peter asked. 

"Ya high school bum it ended the week after when I learned he'd seen some girl" I said. 

"He was an ass" Peter said. 

I smiled a little as I ate another fry from my plate. I was more comfortable with Peter and it had been awhile since we really interacted. 

"Thank you for convincing Tony, I heard you earlier I was going to ask him something" I said.

He sat up a little straighter, "Of course I just figured he might've been taking it too far".

The waitress came over with a check. I reached to check how much it was. I had plenty left over since I picked a cheaper style dress. It was still eye popping though. 

"I can pay since you drove me around or we can split it" I said. 

"Are you sure?" Peter asked and I wondered if he'd protest. 

This wasn't a date. Not not even close to one. Not by a long shot. I didn't date people. Once and it ended badly. Besides he was my friend. That was all if that. He was hardly past aquatence. I'd known him for a few days before now. I'd messaged him a lot but that was nothing. Well not nothing, but it wasn't a hint to anything. 

"Yes I'm sure" I said slipping my card into the sleeve. 

I'd already given most of the money to my family to use. I'd kept only a little for personal items like the dress. 

We walked out the diner towards his car. I got inside on the passenger side. 

"Anywhere else?" Peter asked. 

"I don't have anything else I need" I said. 

We reached the compound later when the night sky had taken over. I walked to the doors with him. I expected him to stop, but he kept going. 

"He offered me a place here to train" he began. 

I assumed that meant he was living here for the purpose of training. He'd seemed rather fine from the start. Why had he chosen to live here of all places. Hopefully it wasn't for my own benefit. 

"Another internship?" I asked making quotations with my fingers.

"Well ya more or less" He said.