Chapter 46

_ . _

Chapter 46

"A proposition?" Persephone queried, her brow furrowed in thought. Samael released a heavy sigh before he began to speak, his words weighted with significance: "I trust you're familiar with this mirror."

Persephone's gaze was fixed on the silver mirror cradled in his hands. Regardless of its form or appearance, she recognized the potent magic it contained. A faint smile graced her lips as she replied, "That's Hermes' mirror, is it not?"

"Indeed, your majesty," Samael confirmed with a reciprocal smile. "This mirror possesses the ability to transport one's soul to any desired location." After a pause, he continued, "In exchange for entrusting you with this mirror, I request permission to communicate with a forbidden soul in the underworld."

Persephone arched an eyebrow, her expression reflecting surprise. "I had expected you to seek the resurrection of the dead, but your request is far more complicated."

Samael remained silent, his gaze unwavering. Persephone met his stare, and a profound silence descended upon the opulent hall. Eventually, she exhaled audibly before speaking again: "Forbidden souls do not fall under my domain. They are under the jurisdiction of my husband, as they are considered dangerous entities."

Samael inclined his head slightly. "Does that mean you cannot grant my request, your majesty?"

Persephone chuckled softly. "Who said I couldn't?" She regarded the crystal ring adorning her finger with an indifferent glance before resuming, "I had Hades wrapped around my pretty little finger. As I've said, he would grant me anything I desire, except for my freedom from the underworld."

Samael's expression lit up with a glimmer of hope. His eyes then shifted to Erichthonius, who returned his gaze with a knowing smile. With a sense of urgency, Samael redirected his attention to Persephone, the queen of the underworld, and posed the question, "Your majesty, how long must we wait?"

Persephone's brows arched in amusement as she responded, "Wait? In my realm, time does not linger."

"Pardon?" Samael's astonishment was palpable. Is she truly serious? Will she grant my request so effortlessly?

Persephone's demeanor remained serene as she elaborated, "As you'll soon come to realize, I am a queen of benevolence. There is no need for delay."

Samael was taken aback by her swift response. He had expected a lengthy process, given the complexities involved with the forbidden souls under Hades' dominion. Unconsciously, he nibbled on his lower lip, a nervous habit surfacing, while Erichthonius, the young king, regarded him with a mixture of curiosity and concern.

With a satisfied smile, Persephone gracefully rose from her throne and descended the steps towards Samael, extending a welcoming hand. "Come, let me lead you to the dungeon."

Samael fell into a step behind Persephone, aware of Erichthonius trailing close beside him, the young king's fingers clutching the fabric of Samael's cloak. Despite the distraction, Samael resolved to maintain his focus. He couldn't afford to be sidetracked, not when facing the formidable queen of the underworld, Persephone.

As they wandered through the grand halls, adorned with marble pillars embellished with cascading flowers and shimmering jewels, a question emerged in Samael's mind, prompting him to address Persephone. "Your Majesty, may I inquire about something?"

Persephone's gaze shifted towards him, with a hint of curiosity in her eyes. "Of course, what's on your mind?"

"You mentioned that Hades denied you the freedom to leave the underworld, yet he agreed to my request to commune with a forbidden soul," Samael began, his tone laced with intrigue. "I'm puzzled by this contradiction."