The Water Bender

TWO DAYS LATER

Mara sat by herself in the forest, listening to the sounds of the critters and monsters that lingered nearby. She never actually saw anything which she was grateful for.

She had a cup of Coca Cola in her hands and a tray with a slice of New York pizza. Pizza for breakfast—a common thing for a child of an addict. Except this was fresh and not three days old, or stolen.

"Why are you not sitting with the others?" Walter asks as he comes out of the darkness and sits in front of Mara.

"There's no place for me," Mara says as she drinks from her cup, "Everyone has a table to sit in. With their siblings or whatever. I have no one."

"The horse man said you could sit with the children of Hermes," Walter told her.

"There are like a million of them," Mara chuckled, "Plus I like the woods. It's quiet." She runs her hands on the earth and the rocks.

"We could at least move to the grass," Walter says as he adjusts himself. "I'm pretty sure a rock just went up my no-no zone."

Mara laughs loudly, "But you're dead."

"Clearly not if I feel a visitor down there," Walter complained as Mara snorted, a very breathy laugh coming afterwards.

Declan came running into view, his hooves stomping loudly onto the rocky terrain.

"The Jackson kid is awake!" Declan yelled, startling Walter and Mara. The ghost quirks a brow, "Who is Jackson?"

"Annabeth's chosen?" Mara asks and Declan nods.

"What does that have to do with me?" Mara asks, letting her envy cloud her judgment.

"Just thought you'd want to know," Declan shrugged, "And Annabeth asked for you."

This catches Mara's attention and Walter notices this.

"Fine," Mara gives in, "Since when did I become apart of the welcoming committee?"

"Just come on," Declan said as Walter follows after them.

"Alright, alright," Mara concedes, pushing herself up from the ground and dusting off her jeans. "Lead the way."

When they arrive to the large house, they find Chiron and Mr. D waiting for Percy to join them. Mara spots Percy admiring his surroundings and looking at the Long Island valley that surrounded the camp.

Mara goes to stand by Annabeth who was leaning on the rail of the porch.

"Where have you been? We missed you at breakfast," Annabeth said as she folded her arms and turned to look at her friend.

"What's going on?" Mara mutters under breath.

"Answer the question," Annabeth demanded, in a slightly joking way but it still startled Mara.

"I was just in the...woods," Mara hesitated to say but Annabeth simply nodded.

"I already warned you about doing that. Just stay in Cabin 11. I promise that nobody hates you there," Annabeth argued but Mara scoffed.