Aunty Em

"What did you get us into again?"

Declan's words echoed in her ears.  Mara turned to the back of the bus where Mrs Dodds flashed her ugly teeth and questioned Annabeth and Grover.

"Where is it?" Mrs. Dodds hissed, "Where?"

"He's not here!" Annabeth argued and Mara suddenly regretted letting them pass through. She wondered where Percy had gone, until she turned and saw the outline of a person at the front of the bus.

It was Percy, wearing Annabeth's Yankees hat.

What weirded Mara out was that she could see him. But only for a moment.

"We have to help them, Mara," Declan urged as he reached into his satchel, trying to find any weapon. 

Suddenly, Percy seized the wheel and swerved in all different directions—trying to distract the Furies. The bus driver fought for control, "Hey! Hey! Woah!"

Percy then pulled on the emergency brake, bringing them to a horrifying stop and crashing into the trees.

Time slowed as Mara was thrown from her seat, hitting her head on the glass window. A piece of glass flies into her hand, burying itself deep.

Mara let out a pained yell as Declan grabbed her, shielding her from more flying glass.

The bus came to a full stop and people scrambled to rush out of the bus.

"Are you alright?" Declan asked as he pulled away from Mara who had a cut on her forehead.

"I'm okay," Mara breathed out as she lifted her hand, the glass shard buried deeper. "Oh god."

"It's all good," Declan reassured her as he grabbed her hand. The bus aisles were full of people scrambling out.

"The window," Mara pointed out as Declan kicked at the bus window. "Watch your eyes." Mara shielded her eyes as Declan kicked at the glass, his hoof delivering a powerful blow.

He took off his jean jacket and swiped at the sill, more glass falling. As soon as it was clear, he went first. He jumped out of the bus, reaching for Mara's hands.

"I got you!" He called up to her, "Just jump!"

As Mara goes to jump out, one of the Furies's whips wraps around her ankle.

"Where are you going?" The Fury taunted her, "Your father awaits!"

The Fury pulls on the whip, dragging Mara out of the bus aisle. Declan panics, "No, no, no!" He makes a run for it around the bus, trying to go back inside.

Annabeth was now in a struggle with Mrs. Dodds, striking at her from behind. Grover threw cans at the Furies.

Mara tried to kick off the whip, "Let me go!"

"This is what you wanted!" The Fury countered as she towered over Mara in the aisle. Mara reached for her scabbard, pulling out the longsword.

"I didn't ask you to try and kill my friends!" Mara yelled as she clicked the skull, the sword elongating and going through the Fury.

The last thing the Fury says is, "They aren't your friends!"

She turns into dust, all of it falling on top of Mara. She gets to her feet, spinning the sword in her hand.

Annabeth called out to Percy, "Get out! Now!"

Percy didn't want to leave his friends behind. He removed his hat and tried to distract the last two remaining Furies.

"Hey!" He shouts.

"Perseus Jackson," She hisses, "You have insulted the gods!"

Mrs. Dodds pushes Annabeth off her back. She lands with a painful thud in the back of the bus. Mara climbs onto the seats, scrambling to help Annabeth.