Chapter 6.1:Facade truth

"Excuse me mam, do you want any help?" The librarian asked, as Adria was constantly staring at a book placed on a shelf.

"Huh? No." She said flinching snapping out of her thoughts which was: 'why does he give brief answers when I ask him about his interests or about the necklace? I JUST WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT MY MOTHER!!!-'

She picks up a book and pulls a chair to sit down but closes her eyes when the soothing sound of rain calms her unhinged thoughts. The memory of her younger self dancing in the rain with a wide smile, much wider and gleeful than she could have ever thought. She was mean, ruthless and stubborn but happy, blissful and passionate, everything she is and couldn't be now. Even though she wouldn't admit deep down she and Ember knew a smallest part of her heart wanted that Adria to come back. They met in elementary school and from then Ember was her first and only friend. Ember saw the bright side in Adria from the beginning and even if she was portrayed as a loner, bullie, crazy and so on....she didn't care. Whereas best friends have similar tastes, they are the total opposites. Ember is preppy, soft, hopeless romantic, likes drama and she has a smile which can light up one's heart instantly. They liked each other way more than they expressed. And the only thing they had in common was their riches.

"Are you okay?" Ven asks from behind. At that she was going to elbow him but he caught her hand just in time before he could get hurt badly and turned her around till they were inches apart. They just stood there with their eyes interlocked and feeling each other's heartbeat for a few long seconds before Ven pulled away. She let out a sharp sigh and said, "what are you doing here when the school is over?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

"Well....what do you think, I was just reading a book." She said sounding irked.

"From what I saw you weren't. You were just sleeping while standing."

"I wasn't sleeping I was just thinking with my eyes closed." She said calming herself.
"And now I am leaving!" She said hanging her bag on one of her arm and walking away.

"How are you gonna, can't you see it's raining outside.'' He said stopping her.
"I have an umbrella. We could walk together if you want?"

"No, thanks."

"Think of it as a gesture of opology." He said making her stop again and continued, "and I will answer all your questions.''

She swiftly turned and said, "Fine.", then turned around again starting to walk away with Ven trailing her.
"So......" He said after running to catch up to her and opening his umbrella.

"First, where did you go the two times you bailed on me."

"Oh, that! My friend texted me that he got into an accident but it was a trick to bail him out of the lockup, because he got into trouble with the cops. And the second time was because my friends were all drunk and I had to go pick them up, well.. I was embarrassed to tell you that."
He said sighing.

"Oh okay. Do you like rain?" Adria said with a blank expression.

"Huh?" He said and gave a confused look.

"Well..do you like rain?" She repeated.

"Hmmm...yes, but why?" He said the same confused look.

"Oh, just asked."

"Oh! Okay."
After a brief second of awkwardness, Ven spoke, ''you must like it as you were hearing it's sound closing your eyes."

"Yeah, I do." She answered after a moment and continued, "I loved to dance in the rain when I was young."
'Wait!! Why did I say that!!' She thought, shocked by herself as soon as she said that but it was too late.

"Oh!!" He said smiling and looking genuinely surprised.

"You know what, thank you but I can go from here''

"Oh okay then, welcome." He said turning away as she quickly walked to the sidewalk which had shelter and called an Uber.