FIGHT

Freen and Emily went back inside and saw Noey, Mind, and Nam, all standing looking out the window.

"What's our status?" asked Freen, putting Emily down to make sure the kid won't see what's outside.

"There's a lot of them, Cap. And they are attacking the barriers," said Mind. Freen peeked through the window and saw Evens lurking just outside Sanctuary Four.

"It would probably take them about thirty minutes to get past those," said Nam. "Why do you guys think they're all here now?"

"They're probably starving and knows we're here," said Noey. "I experienced the same when I was assigned to Jinhwa. Most of the Evens were aggressive as they haven't eaten for weeks. Maybe that's the reason for the attack this morning too. That's one proof that this area is going to be Even-free soon."

"But how come they gather just around here?" asked Mind.

"Blood," said Freen, turning to the team. "They can still sense the blood from the attack that happened earlier. And the movement they detect from us tells them we're preys. This is going to be perfect for the bombing later."

"Speaking of bombing, why don't we try using one of the Retter bombs Doc Billy gave us?" said Nam, holding the bomb in front of everyone. "Maybe it'll help clear a path for us."

"Good ide. Let's go ahead and try that." Freen gestured outside and Nam followed her.

"Eat this, arseholes!" Nam detonated the bomb and threw it outside Sanctuary Four.

"Language, Nam! There's a child in here!" shouted Mind.

They waited for a few seconds, but nothing happened.

Nam went back in. "The prototype's not working, Cap. I'm sure I've detonated it."

Freen scratched her head absently, disappointed. "I guess we'd have to clear the road first. It's either we attack them now, or we wait for them to attack us."

"There are about three pairs of Evens in sight, Cap." Noey peeked through the window again.

"Nam, Mind, and I could take them down in about fifteen to twenty minutes."

Freen shook her head. "No. That'll leave you exhausted. We still have a long way to go. Plus, with that time, one of them might get in here. I say we all go out together. We'll take them down by pair. I'll pair up with Noey. Mind and Nam, you work together."

Nam smirked. Mindl rolled her eyes. "But what about Emily, Cap?"

Freen looked at the little kid who's staring up innocently at them. "It's best if we'll leave her here while we clear the path."

"You sure about this?" asked Noey.

"She'll be safer here." Freen stooped down to level the kid's eyes. "Hey, sweetie. You're a good girl, right?"

"Mmm-mmm. Very good girl." Emily nodded.

"Good. Now, I and the others are going out for a few minutes to clean up the road for you. Could you promise me you'll stay here while waiting for us?"

The kid looked at everyone before looking back at Freen. "I promise."

"That's my girl." Freen patted Emily's head. She stood up. "We'll be going now. Stay here."

The kid hugged Freen's leg. "Emily will wait for you here."

"Awe,. She really likes you, Cap," said Mind. "So cute."